New HID lights only work on passenger side. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I've already searched. Not using the right combo of words i guess. Here's my problem. I ordered two sets of DDM HID's for my '98 LC. Put the first HID and ballast on PS, boom worked great. Second set on the DS didn't work. Tested all of the HID's and ballasts on DS none of them worked. Tested all on PS all worked. What am i missing?

your problem is the driverside connection. It shorts out. Solution: get a heavy duty wiring harness. Maximum power will come from the battery. But the source feed will come from the passengerside light supply. I have 1 in my garage

Swap DS to PS to systematically eliminate failed components - one component at a time. If the formerly inoperative DS component works on the PS and the formerly working PS component does not work on the DS, then you've narrowed it to something upstream of that system on the DS. Test your DS stock light harness with your multimeter to verify that you are getting power when the lights are switched on (or just test it with a stock bulb). Replaice failed components as necessary.

I recently retrofitted my truck & the driverside connector was still intact. & I kept getting bulb flicker or no power at all to that side. But once I removed the connector & use straight wire to the denso ballast, I had no problems since.

I just replaced the headlight connector in a DDM 50W ballast in :princess:'s '01 LX. The HID's have been on the truck for about 3 years and 25K miles.

Symtom was intermittent low beam combined with a bit of flicker. I had a spare HID harness on hand, so I just cut the connector off leaving about 3" of wire. That replaced the loose connector on the truck. Start to finish, about 15 minutes. :banana:

I'm not sure how the connector contacts loosened...I had about 2 extra feet of cable going to the ballast, but that was bundled and held in place with Adel clamps on both ends. The connector was in the center of the bundle. Maybe just a crappy connector from the gitgo.

Steve

From the headlight you have the wires coming thru the cover to the headlights. Now, the wire running from that cover runs to another connector. That's the connector that goes bad. Just remove it & connect your new hid kit harness to it. Just make sure you got the polarity correct. Won't have any more problems

A buddy helped me figure it out. Why would the PS dims have a different polarity than the DS and the fog lights? I had already put all of the ballasts and lights on both the DS and PS they all worked on the PS but not the DS before the original post. Anyway, flipping the sockets over, thus changing polarity solved it.

U had it hooked up backwards for the ds. Wires are color coded. Example: if the PS wires are grey/red and red wire +. Then DS should have the same color wire.

Nope the wires on the PS are opposite to the DS and both fog lights. Hooked up correctly first time. The PS vehicle wires are not connected to the plug the same way as DS and FL's.

Brights are OEM replacement type bulbs. Dims and fogs are HIDs. I was afraid HID brights would scatter the light to much. Haven't driven at night yet.

I have a 03 LX470. I installed SC430 projectors with tsx-r clear lens and 5500k CBI bulbs. Looks oem & slightly brighter with razor sharp cutoff.

IMAG0991.jpg

Had HID bulbs in my stock low beam and fogs on my 2002 and the light output wasn't very good. Scattered light output without much distance. This was with a basic HID kit and 6000k bulbs. It looked cool cosmetically speaking, but from a utility standpoint, the results weren't that good. After I performed the 2006/07 front end grille/headlight update, the light output is MUCH better. I get better light distribution and more distance with the same HID's. The fogs weren't changed so the improvement is attributed to the headlight housing only. Like others have said, proper HID retrofitting into the stock housing is best. Simply replacing the halogen bulbs with plug and play HID's won't net you much gain, at least not on the older (98-02) light housings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom