New Here, LJ78 owner. Engine fuse blowing and other questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to this forum but have been gathering a lot of information here for a few years now. I bought my lj78 almost 3 years ago and have done some cooling upgrades, brakes, t-belt, snorkel, catch can, etc.. (Can post pics soon) she's white with an aftermarket snorkel ment for the new vdj trucks (fit pretty decent) not a bad looking prado if I do say so myself.

Anyway build has been going good but have experienced some unusual symptoms lately and electrical is not my specialty.

Was driving down the highway the other day when my battery gauge drops down to nothing followed by the rest of the gauges in the dash clustor. I pull over, start it up again, still no gauges, runs fine but had to use the little red override button to get the trans back into drive and it seems like it doesnt want to shift past 2nd gear. Turned out to be a blown 15a "engine fuse"

My best guess that day as to the root of the problem was old batteries so I slap 2 new ones in, change the fuse, all problems solved until another 20 mins down the highway, same thing again. does anyone know what could be wrong with that circuit?

I've also been experiencing a weird transmission issue before this where after coming quickly to a stop the engine revs up off the line but the truck hardly moves until it eventually seems to jump into gear. There was a short forum on here about this issue where someone recommended a trans flush or maybe solenoids but they never shared the results and looks like they've long since sold their prado.

Could these things be related? any info would be great!

Cheers

Throw some picture of your truck up!

Not sure exactly what to say about your problems other than you should double check all your grounds, and connections at the alternator to be sure they are tight and clean. Transmission may be having issues because of more fundamental electrical problems.

One of the guys on here translated the OEM LJ78 wiring diagrams into english. I'd take a look at them and look at what is downstream of the fuse that is blowing. You could use an ammeter to monitor current flow and what triggers high current flow as you're driving. Here are the wiring diagrams. '90-'92 70-Series Wiring Manual.pdf

Hey thanks, Ill have to take a closer look at the wiring diagram and see what I can do. Will check alternator, I've also got a brand new one coming but has been on hold for a few weeks now.

Will post pictures when im back home tomorrow. I suspect I might have to drive home from my cabin with it as is unfortunately. I guess I can just go through a few fuses if the need be... hopefully wont need to use my fire extinguisher :nailbiting:

Interested to know if anyone else has had these symptoms

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom