New Head Unit/Stereo Advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to get a updated head unit installed. The current one works great though. But what all would I need to do in order to get a modernized unit in there? (Bluetooth/aux/usb ports etc) Could Best Buy, for example, do the install? I was just unsure due to the age of the 60. Like, would any special accommodations need to occur? Or is it a straight forward install for a tech at a place like Best Buy (or even myself to do)?

I just put a new Alpine unit in my truck. Run new wires to a fuse block or a fused line to the battery for constant power and then tap into an existing keyed power (cigarette outlet wires, many other accessory wires in the dash would also do). Then run wires for the speakers or reuse the ones there and solder/crimp into the new stereo harness. Fairly straightforward if you have the tools. Otherwise, any shop should be able to do it. The lack of steering wheel controls and other features makes it easier to install than a modern day vehicle.

IMG_1930.JPG

Last edited:
I installed a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX in the slot. Its got front and rear cameras, wireless carplay, screen mirroring to any device, hands free phone, etc. You can run the non carplay version of Gaia on it, and bypass the hand brake requirement to play video or stream non carplay supported apps. There is also a 10 inch one available but it seemed a little absurd.

Its pretty sweet, but its relatively difficult to install. I wouldnt trust Best Buy to install any head unit for me in any car. If you cant diy, go to an actual car audio place. The opening for the head unit isnt a standard single din size, its wider and slightly narrower. @ChaserFJ60 makes some brackets that were helpful for install, but youll need to make it work. While youre in there its a really good time to install a 4ch amp and some door speakers too.

HmzYapdh.jpg

I sell radio brackets for the FJ60 and FJ62 at these links

If your doing something custom like @dbbowen I also sell this bracket for the FJ60 which can be modified by the end user for more specific applications

I can customize any of my brackets fit for most any type of radio. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

When I got my 60 I wanted to upgrade the radio also, wanted hands free, CarPlay and a reverse camera. I installed a

Pioneer AVH-3500NEX​

It’s a single din unit that the screen comes out upon start up. The wiring for me was easy since the PO had already installed an amp and new speakers. I just had to run the reverse camera wiring and install an emergency brake bypass( found on eBay for 10 bucks).
The install was trickier since since the unit is thinner and narrower than the stock unit. When I did this I hadn’t stumbled across this website or I would have got a bracket from @ChaserFJ60. But in the end it turned out good.

3E5DC884-8559-4C4D-8F6D-01BD3CDD202A.jpeg

ECE44DB0-3493-4AE9-AA38-B381D57D74D0.jpeg

This hobby is bleeding me dry I swear. But thanks for the responses, yall. Glad to hear aint gonna be rocket science. I was mostly concerned with the bracketing and getting a tight fit.

Use the brackets advertised above they work great. I used a pioneer with options to change button and display color. Was able to turn the stereo all green so it matched the green dash lights and looked more stock even though it was new. Matched it up with some pioneer speakers using some 3D printed adapter brackets also for sale by a Mud user and the setup looks clean and like it was meant to fit.

Don’t be sacred off of stereo work. As long as your hots are fused, it’s low risk. Good way to learn about wiring as well.

If your doing something custom like @dbbowen I also sell this bracket for the FJ60 which can be modified by the end user for more specific applications

I can customize any of my brackets fit for most any type of radio. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
I like your work!

I have Sony XAV-AX1000 that I like a lot in my 62. Have it hooked to a rear camera as well. The grey background color on it blends really well.

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5825.jpg

Just ordered a bracket, thanks for making them

I'm looking at the Sony as well. Love the physical volume knob and carplay! but I dont think it has a rear USB, so if your out of phone range, you cant play mp3 and nav using carplay at the same time. Not a real issue.

I'm looking at the Sony as well. Love the physical volume knob and carplay! but I dont think it has a rear USB, so if your out of phone range, you cant play mp3 and nav using carplay at the same time. Not a real issue.
I just bought a sony xav-ax150 from walmart, good price and good unit. Has usb chord for car play

Users who are viewing this thread

• Rian
Back
Top Bottom