New FZJ80 Tire Review. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would post my experience of this past weekend with my rig/tire set-up for those considering which rubber to go with next.

The Vehicle: 1993 FZJ-80. Lockers everywhere possible.

The Tires: 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ @ 80% tread and 27 psi.

This was my first trip off-road in my new 80, so I did take it a little easy. Fortunately I had a lot of varied terrain to go over (and through) which made for some good "testing". :clap:
My buddy was with me and we started out on an unimproved logging road, gained some significant elevation until we hit snow. The weather was just terrible, lots of wind and LOTS of rain. The snow started out with just a couple inches until we hit a little bit of a landing, where it increased to about a foot deep. Again, not knowing how this 80 handled yet, I took it easy, put it in 4low and attempted to cross the landing (think going up the side of a mountain with these landings at the end of each switchback).

My first attempt I didn't have enough momentum and was quickly drug down in the snow. I was pretty surprised, as I have driven through plenty of snow before and thought for sure I would plow right through. I got out to see what was going on, and discovered that this was the nastiest snow I've been in. It was the wettest, gooiest muck I've seen, it reminded me of paste or cement. Super heavy and wet from the downpour of rain, it formed a slick base under the tires that didn't want to give at all.

I hopped back in and locked the rear up, and still nothing. Forward, reverse, steering back and forth... My gut started to sink, my ego started to feel punched... So what did I do? Lock the front up of course! I tried to go forward and still I didn't move! I had enough at that point, and cranked the wheels, put it in reverse and put the R's up. With the front locked and being in reverse, I basically was able to pivot/slide around 180 degrees, and was free from the nasty goo!

After we retreated under the shelter of the trees, I did a little scouting on foot ahead to see what was up. I thought that with enough momentum we could punch through the open patch to the next switchback, where the snow went down to a few inches and where there was bare ground about 2 feet wide along one side that was basically a stream from the melting snow. (mud and loose shale underneath). If I could keep one track of the 80 on the "stream", I thought we would be fine. The only problem being that the next switchback was at a no kidding 30 degree incline, and there was one thick patch of snow about 100 yards up that we would need to punch through. Oh yeah, there was also a VERY steep drop off on the left.

We succeeded in getting through the flat, and hit the stream with the drivers side tires, we tore up the hill pretty good, the tires (oh yeah, this is a tire review...) dug into the loose shale and mud like they were tractor tires and kept us going until we hit that one deep patch of white goop. It slowed us down and slid us uncomfortably close to the edge of the drop off, so we backed up and tried again picking a different trajectory, unfortunately with the same results. We tried once more before deciding that there was too great a chance of ending up down the side of the mountain on our roof. With our tails between out legs we backed down and retreated to the safety of no snow.

We were able to find a couple other trails lower down and I was extremely impressed with the gripping power in the slick mud, it didn't get too deep as the terrain had a fair amount of loose shale in it, but with the rain storm we were in there was a fair amount of goop. Lateral traction was excellent on side hills and I could pick a narrow path straddling deep ruts with ease without slipping off the side.

There were a few times after looking back on our path that my friend and I looked at each other with the expression of "did we seriously just go through that???!!!" Not only go through, but with ease and very limited slipping.

Overall I was very happy with the tires. I was disappointed with them in the snow, but then again it wasn't your typical snow! I have been through deeper stuff in Toyo Open Countries, both A/T and M/T and they didn't hesitate. However those times were in more of a powder condition where the snow would actually compact and take the tread underneath. :meh:

On the highway they handle pretty good, but have a slight "rubbery" feel to them going over bumps and such. The sidewall definitely is not as firm as I am used to. The road noise is pretty good, I would say on par with Toyo M/T that I have had in the past which are known for quiet road characteristics.

I am anxious to see how they wear, I've heard about 30/35,000 miles is what folks are getting out of them. Compared to my previous Toyo MT's which I got 55,000 out of, I hope they last a bit longer than folks are saying especially at being $300 a pop.

I hope this is helpful and apologize if I got a little long winded. I will update as I get more info with them. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

I hate to bump an old thread but I was curious to see how these are doing 6 months later. I won an Mickey Thompson gift card for $500 and they have a $100 rebate going on. So I am looking at getting a set of Mickey's. We don't get much snow so that portion of the equation is not a huge concern. Thanks for the input.

Did you ever get a response on the Baja MTZ's? I am also curious how these hold up.

Hey guys, sorry I missed this until now... I have put several thousand miles on these and am pretty happy. The wear seems to be pretty decent, and they are really quiet on road. I live in northwest Washington and travel to eastern WA pretty regularly, doing most of my offroading over there. I think they are a great tire to travel 300-400 miles on a freeway, then about 100 miles on trails over a weekend and then back home. The only times I've gotten "delayed" (not stuck unless you can't get yourself out, right??) is when I've been in snow or mud over the axles and up to the frame. The tires seem to flex really well without having to air down super low, 20 psi and you notice a difference.

Overall I'm happy, but I will try a different tire when it's time to buy. More because of wanting to try something different than being unhappy- plus this has gone from my dd to a ww and I want something more aggresive. Besides, they are pretty spendy!

More aggressive? What are you looking at?

So my wife and I just got back from Eastern WA, I was a bit curious on how it would go because I really haven't run the MTZ's in slick conditions before. I know MT's in general pretty much suck in ice and packed snow, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Wow... I was blown away by how well they handled. The other snow experiences I've had with them have been in the wet, melting, deep nasty stuff, and as I said before that just sucks. These handled like a dream in the hardpack snow on the pavement, I was in absolute control the entire time, never wanting or lacking traction. Going up into the mountains in 6"+ (not much snow compared to what is usually there) was no problem, curvy logging roads with hardpack underneath and fresh stuff on top I was cruising about 30mph with decent braking and stopping distances. My wife took my dad's '04 Expedition with dedicated winter tires out one morning, she said that she slipped all over the place while braking and start off's, saying that the 'Cruiser was night and day difference in traction.

What really impressed me was on the way back going over Steven's Pass on highway 2 (for those that know the area) at night. It was a bit foggy at places but the roads seemed fine, the only snow was cleared off to the side. We were coming down the west side, going about 50-55 as the fog had lifted. We rounded a corner and a Chevy truck just finished settling on top of the guard rail- two tires in the air on one side and two on the other. We went a little further and flipped a Uturn, only then did I feel the tiniest amount of slipping at the apex of the turn. We got up there, grabbed my jump kit and I hopped out... literally almost slipping on my butt! Everyone was fine, the car behind the truck had stopped as well, calling troopers and such. I went to set out flares, literally barely able to walk it was so icy. At one point I tried to stop walking and kept sliding for a good few feet.

Luckily traffic was light, but almost every vehicle going by was slipping going by! Once we got back on track we went 1/2 mile and there was a car in the snow bank! This one I pulled out no problem and luckily there was minimal damage to the car.

Sorry for the long-winded saga- and all that to say I couldn't have been happier, even if I had a set of Blizzak's on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom