New FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Btw the RC 3" lift is great, but as I didn't listen to sr. Members in all of the FJ forums, I am going to upgrade. It's a great 1st lift (depending on your wheeling habits) but if you plan on upgrading in future then just save more and get the one you really want (ie. OME , Toytec, Icon etc). I'm going with an OME medium set-up, as I want to get aftermarket bumpers. You'll save a bit of money doing the lift once rather than twice or 3 times (ie. install prices, wheel alignments etc).

I am going with the OME lift and BFG 35 x 12.50R-17LT or LT285/70R17. I do not know if the 35's will fit with the stock wheels

I am going with the OME lift and BFG 35 x 12.50R-17LT or LT285/70R17. I do not know if the 35's will fit with the stock wheels

Depends on the tire shop, the tires will "fit".

You will need to become familiar with doing a body mount chop to fit the 35's for sure, probably for the 285's also...

Well I am getting the tires from 4wheelparts.com and will be installed by my local mechanic.
What does this "body mount chop" entail? And it is needed even with the OME lift?

Have to trim the BMC with 35s, the BMC rubber cover, and a portion of the OE fender flares on the inside lip at the lower rear well, at the very least.

Depending on the tire choice, you're gonna rub, just hard to say how much. KM2s run smaller.

Ran 285/70/17 BFG ATs and it necessitated a BMC, because alignment adjustments squirreled the steering. Rubbed at full lock on the DS mount, even with creative alignment specs.

Last edited:
Depending on what tire size you select and where bump is set, you can get by without chopping the body mount by adjusting your caster a fair amount during the alignment. Several folks have gone that route.

The sky is blue.

?? Not sure what thats supposed to mean.

Just pointing out another alternative since not everyone wants to chop their mount. You can get the alignment setup so that both toe and camber are in spec and caster is about 6 degrees....steering won't crap out and actually helps the FJ track better.

The 285 procomp xtreme mud terrains rubbed with OEM alignment. Would have cleared with the additional caster by a fair margin. Anyways just my 2 cents as another alternative to the original poster.

I have 285's (stock wheels) on my truck with Icon lift (stock UCA's) and no BMC.

No rubbing whatsoever...just sayin' :cheers:

I have 285's (stock wheels) on my truck with Icon lift (stock UCA's) and no BMC.

No rubbing whatsoever...just sayin' :cheers:

Excellent, please also provide tire and any alignment changes for reference also, since it is the individual manufacturer/model differences that can make or break rubbing or not...:beer:

Excellent, please also provide tire and any alignment changes for reference also, since it is the individual manufacturer/model differences that can make or break rubbing or not...:beer:

Stock 16" Offroad package wheels
285/75/16 Hankook MT RT03
Alignment set to factory specs (per last alignment)

Going from stock to 35's is a whole other ball game.... Read . read and read again all you can find before diving into this.

i'd go baby steps... 33's, Lift, sliders, skids first, other stuff after

Watch out for the Km2 if you live where you get a lot of snow or Ice they are one of the worst tire I've ever had in those types of driving ...good for most other things, just not the cold stuff....

If your looking at being a tough off roader, then the performance stuff can wait, especially since you have a deadline and budget. But one thing you'll definatly need is rock sliders and skid plates. These are important cuz you can make your FJ look like the coolest thing in the world, but if something technical breaks, you'll be dead on the trail. So protection is a very important thing. But the ARB bumper is a good choice for protection, it's very tough and sturdy and you'll be glad to have it with that winch. Although now that your putting all that weight up there with that bumper, a good suspension system is key. That old man emu is a good choice, i know that if you get the heavy kit, it will be like the bumper isn't even there. And now we come to the tires and wheels. Always put tires before wheels. Wheels may add to the visual aspect of the FJ, but without good tires, you wont be getting anywhere. Those KM2s are good tires, they are expensive though, and a cheaper (and better option in my opinion) would be to look into the Dunlop Fierce Attitude tires. Thats what i'm running and they're great! And they're cheaper than the KM2s. But just make sure that if by this time money is tight, go with getting tires before you get wheels. And also, i talked about the things i did in order of importance, so skids first and wheels last. Good luck!!

FWIW, I built and wheeled my FJ on the cheap for 6 years - all over SE Utah and Arizona with a dash of Colorado added in for fun.

Skids and Sliders - I was quite happy with the factory/Toyota Sliders as the tucked away nicely and were plenty stout against our rocks. If mudding around trees, you may want a slider with more kick out. Skids were BudBuilt and were great.

I ran BFG AT 285/17/70's on stock rims at first and hated them. Upgraded to 315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on cheap MB Motoring rims and loved 'em - through 100K miles and 2 sets of tires.

The ARB bumper is OK if you are bouncing off wildliffe and trees, but for better clearance there are others out there, I prefered the Expedition 1 bumper(with a 9K superwinch and synthetic rope for the price of an 8K warn with wire rope).

Due to the bumper/winch weight, used OME heavy sprins in front and medium springs in the rear. This was adequate for the 315/75/16 tire, but did require the body mount chop (easy and cheap) and a 1-1/2" spacer for the reap bump stops (also easy and cheap).

As shown below:

Exhaust - also consider re-routing/shortening the exhaust end so it doesn't make contact on descents - minor mod but definitely better than shortening it on the trail (as I have seen)
Pyeatt1.jpg
the_crack.jpg
TheStep.jpg

I would agree with just about all on here

Tires and sliders...

For the rest- I would consider Skids and before a bumper and winch since it seems that just about everyone with an FJ has one- Id suggest new seats. I put some PRP's in mine and couldny be happier. When off camber- you stay planted and not death gripping the wheel or sliding down onto the center console. They really were a game changer for me.

Beefier Lower rear links and shock/ link armor is also good if you like playing in the rocks

If a winch is what you feel you need then I would suggest one with synthetic line as it saves 30 lbs up front and is a whole lot safer around those who dont understand what snap back is on loaded wire line. Bumpers that work with winches are being added by the week it seems so there are plenty to chose from.

I would suggest you look at what kind of wheeling you plan on doing. It seems your jumping from 33's to 35's an havent looked at enough research to see what it entails. If your driving 1700 miles through the mountains... your going to hate the gas mileage and cruise control is out of the question for anything but level ground.

As for the BMC- it can be avided on certain wheel/ 33" tire combos but not on 35's. I ran the 255/80R17 KM2 pizza cutters without one and only wacked my "ears" once while in Marble Falls, Texas on a steep decline, level 3 trail. The positive caster will help but Im uncertain as to how much can be dialed in with factory UCA's.

What youll find as you begin to modify is that each modification leads to others or as in the case of some of mine caused some issues which required other items be upgraded or changed for the first mod to work.

So from the top- start simple with tires (suggest 33 since your on a budget- the Terra Grapplers mentioned earlier wear like iron and will work very well in all but deep gumbo mud) and sliders... wheel it and see what you like to do with it and go from there.

Its not to say I dont like what my rig can do now but with all the upkeep and issues from other issues... sometimes simple is better. Read everything and take some stuff with a grain of salt and try to hop rides with other FJ owners when off road to see what ou like then buy what you want and not what you think will work- spend once- spend right

-OC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom