New Camping/overland rig!

Discussion in '05+ Tacoma, T100, Highlander' started by akhero, Nov 7, 2018.

1. akhero

akhero

Looking for something inexpensive I found a 1996 Toyota T100 4x4 manual is this pretty capable off roader?I don't plan on doing rock crawling. Or should I look elsewhere? I was also looking at Land Cruisers 80s and 100s what would work best?
    If I go with the truck I plan on putting a camper shell on it and a bed! can you guys help me out don't know what to do!

2. Boss Hog

Boss Hog

I LOVED my T100. At the time I thought it was in between sizes (too big and too small at the same time), but in hindsight, it was just right f it's you +1 and a dog or two in the extra cab. Took me and the dog all over Colorado and Wyoming. I didn't offroad it per se, but it did see some dirt.

Noticeable features were a 6'-ish bed, hand crank windows, split bench front seat and a back seat for Pete the big black dog. My dad bought it from some surfer in Virginia and I bought it from him. Good in the snow and good on gas.

Suspension parts were hard to find at the time, but that could've been because I was fairly new to Toyotas and didn't understand the parts cross-over potential between Toyota models.

It left me stranded one time when an injector went bad (that was an easy fix by a local shop) and another time when I ignored the steering rod recall and it snapped on me! Toyota reimbursed me for the towing and fixed it free of charge. I remember replacing the starter, timing belt, and alternator as prevention. It had a salvage title, but looked and ran perfectly fine. My guess it was stolen at some point. I rue the day I got rid of it. I traded it straight-up in 2010 for a strong-running, very rusty FJ55. The T100 is an awesome truck. I'll get another one someday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.