Nerding out on coil packs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jacket

Threads
My son was driving across the country in our 11 RAV4, and threw CEL-type failure in IL. The car went into semi-limp mode and so they had to deal with it on the road. Long story short, it was a cyl 2 misfire code (fortunately one of the front-side cylinders) resolved by replacing the ignition coil pack. Sort of a standard/known issue with many modern Toyotas with higher mileage-no big deal. I had replaced the 3 coil packs on the back side of the engine when I did the spark plugs, but not the front ones, so I'm not surprised about the failure.

But in researching the coil pack parts through Toyota, I found some interesting info. It seems like there are two main part numbers for coil packs:

90919-A2005: current part number for Toyota V8's and many 4 cylinder engines (in the AR-FE family)
90919-A2007: current part number for many/most/all Toyota V6's

There's been lots of supersession over the years but it seems like this is where they've landed. But then if you assume that Denso is the manufacturer of Toyota OEM coil packs, you do the same research in the Denso family and you arrive at Denso PN 673-1309, which appears to be compatible with both of the above Toyota parts. No difference for

So what does that mean? Are A2005 and A2007 the same part? They are priced the same through Toyota. They have the same basic appearance and construct. And Denso says all are replaceable by the same part. Interested to hear if anyone knows why the two parts exist in Toyota, and what might drive the differences in the OEM part that doesn't exist in the Denso aftermarket part.

Reactions: r2m
I know this doesn't necessarily translate over to Toyota 100% but it could be along the same reasoning. Many years ago when I was running OfficeMax stores I had a conversation with our Epson printer rep. I asked why some of the cartridges look identical but have different part numbers. She said that they were in fact the same part but it helped Epson keep track of how many cartridges they were selling for older vs newer machines. This could be a way for Toyota to keep track of some info about their V6's vs the rest..........:meh:

Another thought may be similar to what I've experienced in older medical device companies (or companies in general), that as various QMS (quality management systems) software changes, part numbers and naming conventions change also.
Just throwing this out as a possibility.

Best way to tell is the maintenance manual trouble shooting guide and see what the resistance measurements are. Revisions to parts due to specs or components can drive PN changes as well as production runs. I do know higher cylinder pressure in high compression ratio engines require more voltage than low compression engines, dont think this is the case here.

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 9091902250, 9091902251, 9091902255, 9091902256, 90919A2002, 90919A2003, 90919A2004, 90919A2005, 90919A2007, 673-1309

Justin

Yea - it's just interesting that none of those old/superceded part numbers overlap. They all follow a trail to either the A2005 or A2007. Yet Denso says it's one part compatible with all.

The inventory management angle makes some sense, although it seems odd that they'd group the 4 cyl and 8 cyl parts together.

And all this relates to GX's in the sense that I haven't read about a ton of people dealing with cylinder misfire codes and coil pack failures (yet). Lots of failures in the RAV4 world, but there's also a ton more of those cars on the road. There are a few reports of failures I've read on the GX forums, but not as many as I thought I'd find. I don't spend much time in the 100, 200 or Tundra forums, so I don't know if they are dealing with more issues over there. Most of the 100 series guys I've wheeled with keep at least one spare on hand, so it's definitely a known trouble area. My GX is getting up there in miles (125k now) so it's probably time I do the maintenance proactively, or at least keep a spare on hand. But I guess my spare could be one I grabbed for the RAV4....

I didn't replace a coil pack on my 100 until closer to 200k. I just don't think many GXs are there yet.

This is the second one on the RAV4: 125k and then 140k miles. So if they are the same part as the V8's, then.....

I know there are many factors - heat being one of them, and spark plug condition/age/gap, so maybe it's just bad luck along with other conditions inside the engine bay.

But I do agree that 200k seems more the norm. Not sure why the RAV4's seem more susceptible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom