Need some help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, how is everyone?
On Sept 4th, I was doing 65mph on the 22 highway, another driver doing 15mph cut me off. I swerved into the left shoulder and had to swerve right to not hit the center divider. My cruiser flipped over and something exploded inside, roasted my arm and head.
Fearing that the cruiser was on fire, I immediately got out of the truck and forgot to turn off the car. 3 minutes later, it started to go up in flames as I watched in agony.

I'm currently battling with my insurance, they only want to pay 13k for the truck in its stock form. But I told them it's worth about 25k because I had the engine rebuilt, triple locked, regeared, and all bushings and shocks replaced. So on and so forth, I even send them comparable vehicles but they won't accept it because those are collectors edition and mine is not, basically any excuse to not pay out.

Does anyone have stock photos of their rig? If you can post it on autotrader.com with information like rebuilt engine, factory lockers, rebuilt engine and such. They refused to use craigslist, autotrader.com or other websites so they can run the VIN.
You can also PM me for more listing details.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

My truck is a 1997 factory locked, insurance only want a plain 1997 factory locked as comparable. No 40th anniversary or collectors edition.

Recently, there was a thread with a youtube video linked about a totaled Tacoma, it was very informative on how to deal with insurance. Big take-a-ways are patience and receipts are key. I think it may have been in chit chat, I'll look for it.

A few questions, did the other driver stop, admit guilt? Without this it's going to be extremely tough, especially if only dealing with your insurance, even more so if no extra/additional coverage has been added.

Yes, other driver stopped, he didnt have a choice bc I flipped in front of him and the entire freeway stopped and trapped him. He was found at fault for making an unsafe lane change.

Good! Still, sorry about the cruiser. You may want to work with the other driver's insurance. I looked for the thread, couldn't find it here. Now, I'm thinking it may have been on FB and I've no idea where to begin to look, maybe the TLCA page but who knows.

Wow! Sorry for your loss and glad you are ok.

Since it's the other drivers insurance that's at fault and paying out, I highly suggest you find EVERY receipt for the modifications, after market upgrades, etc. and ADD those to the stock price they are willing to pay. If it was your own insurance, some companies require a rider for all the modifications and aftermarket parts (front bumper/winch, rear bumper, sliders, etc) on the truck. My insurance, Mercury does so if I'm at fault in my own truck, they won't cover any of my after market add on's! Insurance company of the driver at fault should have to cover all your modifications, but they'll need proof of cost. Worked for me when I was in a rear end fender bender and at fault driver insurance paid for a new Kaymar rear bumper for me. (Edit - I did give them a copy of what I paid for the Kaymar and the link to the US distributor at the time with it's replacement cost!)

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Other driver is at fault but I have no idea why my insurance is paying out for the cruiser. I think they intend to go after the other insurance company later. I'm working with an attorney for back injury against the other drivers insurance, but it seems they refusing to release their coverage limits.

I do have after market parts endorsement that is being paid in full, but I'm not taking 13k for my cruiser in stock form, that's way too low. As of right now, I need to show thethem comparable stock vehicles.

Other driver is at fault but I have no idea why my insurance is paying out for the cruiser. I think they intend to go after the other insurance company later. I'm working with an attorney for back injury against the other drivers insurance, but it seems they refusing to release their coverage limits.

I do have after market parts endorsement that is being paid in full, but I'm not taking 13k for my cruiser in stock form, that's way too low. As of right now, I need to show them comparable stock vehicles.
That stinks that your insurance isn't behind you on the add'l value of the mods since you carry that endorsement! I absolutely would not accept any payment/settlement without it having compensation for the aftermarket parts!

That stinks that your insurance isn't behind you on the add'l value of the mods since you carry that endorsement! I absolutely would not accept any payment/settlement without it having compensation for the aftermarket parts!

Brent, insurance is covering the endorsement in full. But they only want to pay 13k for the cruiser, I told them the cruiser is around 25k.

Brent, insurance is covering the endorsement in full. But they only want to pay 13k for the cruiser, I told them the cruiser is around 25k.
Ouch!

Do you have pictures before the fire? Miles? It's been a few years since I have seen it. I may be out of touch with the 80 market these days but 25 seems high.

Do you have pictures before the fire? Miles? It's been a few years since I have seen it. I may be out of touch with the 80 market these days but 25 seems high.

I dont have pictures of it before the accident. Have 172k miles on it, factory locked, straight body, regeared 4.88 and T case low range, heavy duty control arms and steering links, adjustable panhards. Engine meticulously rebuilt, every hose replaced, extended brake lines, kings 2.5 remote res shocks. It goes on and on, but these are the things they refuse to pay for.
I added up 47k in just after market parts and labor alone. They maxed out my endorsement but refuse to pay for the upgrades I made that improve the value ofthe vehicle such as shocks and control arms and gears.

Wow sounds like a nice truck. I hope you get compensated for the loss. Glad you're ok, that's the most important thing.

I dont have pictures of it before the accident. Have 172k miles on it, factory locked, straight body, regeared 4.88 and T case low range, heavy duty control arms and steering links, adjustable panhards. Engine meticulously rebuilt, every hose replaced, extended brake lines, kings 2.5 remote res shocks. It goes on and on, but these are the things they refuse to pay for.
I added up 47k in just after market parts and labor alone. They maxed out my endorsement but refuse to pay for the upgrades I made that improve the value ofthe vehicle such as shocks and control arms and gears.
Who's refusing to pay, your insurance or theirs? It's theirs on the hook so maxing out on your own endorsement is not relevant to the discussion. For a '97, 172,000 miles is low so finding a comparable truck may be hard, but completely stock, locked and low miles should get you what's been offered at very best. More realistic, if you can find comps I'd think would be in the 10K range. Regearing, shocks and the such they are probably considering replacement parts that are subject to regular wear and tear and not covered. I'd certainly argue that regearing for specific offroading would and should be considered after market add on's and covered.They'll probably stick to things like the bumpers, sliders, winch, etc.

You may not like this assessment, but I'm a realist. They may also be looking at it from a business perspective. You've got nothing left on the truck they can resell to parts resellers! Ok, maybe a rim or two! I was surprised as heck at an offer my daughter got on her Scion Xa when she got munched from the rear and front. Enough to total the car, but plenty left that could be resold and I think they factored that into the offer. It was higher than I was expecting for an initial offer.

My insurance is paying for my car, my insurance maxed out my endorsement.
Yea, it seems like they are not counting gears and Tcase work. I will have to work a little longer see if they bump it up a little more.
I'm so busy now, I dont think I have time for another engine rebuild, this is what's most important to me. I want everything reliable bc the kids go out with me and I dont feel like being stranded anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom