Need some advice, possibly buying a GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, everyone. I'm new here.

I have a good amount of experience with cars--mostly European. I'm not an expert, but I've had multiple finicky cars that I've taken to 350k-400k miles while doing all of the work myself. (Except tires, of course. Not much experience with AC either.)

I've also been on tons of forums over the years. So I'll try to be respectful by getting right to the point and asking clear questions. (I'll try)

I'm currently looking at a 2008 GX470. It has 95,000 miles. The dealer is asking 16k.

First, is this an acceptable price? It seems to fall in line with the KBB numbers.

Now, the ambiguous stuff: what, overall, should I be looking for?

Cosmetically, it's great. It's a southern car that doesn't seem to have ever seen salt. Interior is in really good shape from what I can tell, minus a heated seat button that's not illuminating. Exterior is also very good.

The tires are almost bald and I started to spin out accelerating from a stoplight. But the brake rotors and pads are new.

My biggest concerns:

The radiator was replaced, so I'm concerned about a possible overheat in the past and head gasket issues. I'm thinking about asking for an independent exhaust gas coolant test.

There's a burning oil smell when parked, mainly outside of the cabin. I'm assuming--purely assumption--that this is the valve cover gasket. Is there another common fluid leak for this car that would cause a significant burning smell at idle? I couldn't see any smoke. I was stupid and didn't look at the exhaust after the ~25 minute test drive. I'd planned to look for any evidence of burning oil or coolant but I smelled the burning oil/fluid around the engine compartment and forgot once I started investigating that.

There's a bit of pulsing vibration within a certain wide RPM range when pressing the gas at idle. I'm assuming this is engine mounts? Is there something else I should be considering here?

The ride height adjustment is only visibly noticeable to me on the rear, and seems slow. But I honestly have no idea how long it's supposed to take. Also seems a bit jerky, not totally smooth. But it did indeed adjust.

So these are the things that caught my eye.

Are there other things I should specifically be looking for? I'm currently planning to FaceTime with a tech at the dealer while it's up on a lift. (The car is a few hours away from me, and the service department had been closed for two hours when I did the test drive. So I never got to look at it under a lift or see under the engine cover.)

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply. Please ask me any questions you can think of. I plan to move relatively quickly on this--possibly Monday.

I gave $18k for an '07 with 102k miles just this past November, so the price sounds pretty good to me. It's normal for dash button bulbs to be out, we've pretty much all dealt with it (I still have a few out). Any vehicle I've done fluid service on tends to give off a smell afterward if there were drips and spills onto exhaust or engine or whatnot. Perhaps it hasn't been driven much since the dealer serviced it. The air bags don't inflate incredibly fast, not like a custom low-rider would anyway, the compressor will run 5-20sec depending on how much weight you threw in the back or how long it's sat. A new radiator doesn't automatically indicate a past overheat, it could have just been a corroded or leaky radiator that they decided to replace when the timing belt service was done (assuming it was, in fact, done...at 95K it is now due). Dunno about the vibration in Park, my engine is silky smooth under any situation. I'd say perhaps it's due a tune-up, maybe a bit of a misfire, but with no CEL it's difficult to say.

Best wishes on your buying decision.

I am in the market right now as well and 16 for an 08 with 95 is pretty good not great but that truck won’t be around long. I have now had 2 go out from under me. What kind of service history does it have?

Thanks, everyone. This is great advice/info.

The service history is mainly carfax, unfortunately. And records from the dealer regarding their repairs.

In order the get the vibration I have the hit the gas. It's there for a good range but goes away on the upper end. No noticeable vibration at idle. It's sort of a mild pulsing that you can feel in the seat. Again, it's mild. Not severe. But doesn't seem normal.

No CEL, but I'll bring a code reader next time or see what the mechanic says.

You can register at the Lexus website, then register the VIN and see any service history done by Lexus. Mine was much more detailed than that of CarFax.

Thanks again. Looks like the entire dash was replaced in 2017! The Lexus maintenance history seems to have stopped there. The Carfax report shows oil changes etc at a Valvoline location, which I'm not thrilled with.

Most of the service history made sense, except this, which I couldn't quite figure out. Maybe a few unrelated issues?

SERVICE: REPLACE ALTERNATOR
DESCRIPTION: REPLACE ALTERNATOR |~C/S VEHICLE WILL NOT START, BATTERY LIGHT IS ON. THERE IS A BURNING SMELL. C/S VEHICLE IS SMOKING ~| ~|~64587 280 VERIFIED CLIENT CONCERN. FOUND CHARGING VOLTAGE LOW (11.6V). REPLACED ALTERNATOR PER CLIENT REQUEST. CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE NOW 13.78V (WITHIN SPEC). TESTED VEHICLE BATTERY. BATTERY TESTS GOOD.

Alternators don't smoke or smell when bad, as far as I know?

Perhaps the alternator bearings seized causing the belt to slip on the pulley, who knows...those techs write notes in short-hand most of the time.

One I was looking at had battery replacements all the time, then an alternator at 85k...I suspect the PO left the vanity light on all the time or something stupid.

My biggest suggestion is to enter the VIN into the Lexus driver's website and evaluate the dealer service done to the vehicle.
Lexus Website
I paid $8800 for my '05 with 160k a few months back. It is a GA car and it is wonderful. The timing belt has been done twice as well as the radiator and lots of other stuff. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom