Need input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a trailer that I repurposed into a camping trailer. I have a CVT tent mounted on it that is 5 feet from the ground. I experience a certain amount of rocking back and forth from side to side that a little disconcerting at times. I put air shocks under it has leaf springs as well as set of new coil springs from the front of a early 70's Mustang. The last thing I'm thinking of trying is attaching a chain to the center cross member of the trailer which sits directly above the axle to the axle on each side with a little slack in it for the purpose of limiting lean. Hope this all makes sense. The trailer when fully loaded with gear comes around 1500 pounds. Good idea or bad idea?

Most trailers with RTT’s on them have “legs” at each corner that you can deploy to keep the trailer from shifting.
It’s helpful if these kegs are adjustable, so you can accommodate slightly uneven ground.

Most trailers with RTT’s on them have “legs” at each corner that you can deploy to keep the trailer from shifting.
It’s helpful if these kegs are adjustable, so you can accommodate slightly uneven ground.
If I understand your response correctly, you're referencing stabilizing after parking. I'm trying to minimize swaying from side to side while towing. The chain idea is sort like a stabilizer to limit body roll.

Sorry....yes, I was to referring to stabilizer legs once parked and the tent deployed. That’s how I read your question.
I got nothin’ for stabilizing while underway.
Good luck...

^^This for highway stability. For off road stability, you need articulation, balanced with load carrying ability.
This isn't really set up for off road. It does pretty well on logging roads here in Oregon though.

Titanpat nailed it, I think. It is wobbling because it is wagging. More tongue weight.

Trailer don't articulate. They can't for the simple reason that they only have 3 points of contact (even double or triple axle trailers really only have 3 points of contact due the arrangement of the axles). There's no need for articulation because there's no fourth point of contact that needs to be accommodated. Goes back to that high school geometry lesson about any three points defining a plane. Add a fourth point and it's easy for one of them to not be on the same plane as the others and that requires articulation.

That isn't to say that the trailer's suspension shouldn't be supple. It should be supple if not breaking the eggs and not foaming the beer are important.

Trailer don't articulate. They can't for the simple reason that they only have 3 points of contact (even double or triple axle trailers really only have 3 points of contact due the arrangement of the axles). There's no need for articulation because there's no fourth point of contact that needs to be accommodated. Goes back to that high school geometry lesson about any three points defining a plane. Add a fourth point and it's easy for one of them to not be on the same plane as the others and that requires articulation.

That isn't to say that the trailer's suspension shouldn't be supple. It should be supple if not breaking the eggs and not foaming the beer are important.
My point was, and I think most people understand what I meant, is the ability of the trailer's supension to flex for obstacles and terrain, but still be able to carry a reasonable load. Articulation is a term most people use when they describe the flex of a vehicle's suspension. If you want to make it into a complex supension sermon, knock yourself out.

Articulation, as I've always seen it used, describes a vehicle's ability to keep all 4 of it's tires in contact with the ground. Because of the coupler, trailers don't need suspension flex to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom