Need Help With Front Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Threads
Sooooooo, every once in a while the front wheel bearings get loose and I will start to get a front wheel shimmy. After I service and tighten again all is good. I got tired of that and purchased the Trail-Gear spindle nuts to keep things in check longer. However, I don't think I am installing these things right because they seem loose again. Anyone here willing to sacrifice some of there day to properly install and adjust these for a case of beer or feed you some BBQ?

Paul

Are you using two spindle nuts with a star washer sandwiched between them?

18-4631-Product_Primary_Image.jpg

This....

I have never seen those. I have no idea how they work :/

On another thread some people are switching to button head screws they get at ace hardware as some of the allen set screws are getting worn down. Also, did you reuse the spindle as some are having issues because of that. Perhaps replace both spindle and set screws and see if that fixes the issue? Oh and set screws were only hand tightened.

Yup, I think it could be I am just to scared to over tighten but have always done according to FSM.......All six front control arm bushings are aging and need replaced, that might be the issue as well. I have the bushings, so I am going to install those first and see if that is the cause. Of course I am still going to double check the bearings afterwards.

Last edited:
Yup, I think it could be I am just to scared to over tighten but have always done according to FSM.......All six front control arm bushings are aging and need replaced, that might be the issue as well. I have the bushings, so I am going to install those first and see if that is the cause. Of course I am still going to double check the bearings afterwards.

I did the fsm way and always came loose very shortly. Now I follow 30-35lbft way and been good for a long time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom