Need help for my niece (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if I'm in right spot. My niece loves my FJ60 but she wants a pick-up. She just needs a 2 WD but she wants best mileage she can get, college girl you know. So the question is which engine gives best mileage. I can do the rebuild if I need, have year to do it in, but I want to start with the right one. Any help would be appreciated. I thought of the 4 banger but was wondering if it could do the highway? 3.4 v6 is better then the 3.o V6 for mileage right? How about the 4L v6? I know the F2 but haven't dealt with these others so help me if you can. Thanks :beer:

A 2wd tacoma will get the best mileage, the tundra should be decent as well. It would all depend how big of a truck she wants. I would suggest she drives both to compar the size.

I would think a 2 wheel drive tacoma, automatic or standard if she can grab gears.
I would suggest a 2.4L inline 4 cylinder or a 2.7L inline 4 cylinder.

The 2.7 has a timing chain so no belt to replace.
The 3.4 has a belt but is a non interference engine.
I think a 2.7 will better a 3.0 for mileage. I know my 2.7 has been a lower maintence engine than our 3.4L

I think if you go newer to a 4.0 L you will get worse mileage unless you go for a dbl cab 4X4 then a 3.4 is likely the best mileage option.

The 3.0, though a great, reliable engine (despite "popular" opinion), has never got good fuel mileage. I have had both the 3.0 and a 3.4 in four wheel drive trucks that I owned at the same time and in my opinion there isn't a night and day difference. The fuel mileage was about the same with the 3.4 having a slight advantage, power was the same story. Maybe the 3.0 in my '90 is the exception to the rule but I chose to keep it and sell the '04. The payment on the '04 chapped my ass when I thought about how close the older truck was in performance.

Anyhow, that is a long way of saying look for a four cylinder.

2.7 L motor is your way to go strong reliable and exceptional on gas especially for a college student. Has enough pep to get you around and about anywhere with your wallet in mind. I've owned both 2.7L while in college and I now have the 3.4L which i use for towing and wheeling. Both great motors but a difference in fuel for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom