Need advice on getting non-U.S. carb, dizzy, and coil working correctly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what ended up being the solution? I just bought the same distributor and was wondering if I could use the stock coil and igniter or if I needed a different one.

So what ended up being the solution? I just bought the same distributor and was wondering if I could use the stock coil and igniter or if I needed a different one.

Sorry for having been absent for so long. Car went to two general purpose shops here who were unable to do anything with it. One of the shops who was recommended to me earlier in this thread would not even return repeated phone calls. Ended up taking it to the local independent "factory certified" Toyota mechanic. Sat there for 10 weeks before he got to it, which is why I didn't take it there to start with. He mostly specializes in old Toyotas and even he was a little hazy about what coil, with or without the ignitor, Pertronix type mod/or not, and how to wire it all in with the non-U.S distributor in question, and he does a lot of mods. I imagine he could have figured it out in a good way eventually, but I just needed my car back, so bought him the TPI Firecracker setup (Japanese 2F distributor, Gel coil, Japanese market spec wires and plugs) and had him just install that as a complete turnkey solution. I just got tired of dealing with it and not having a car. This town isn't really a hotbed of car people.
The distributor in that kit is not a Toyota factory part, but looks like the original part. I wasn't crazy about that, maybe it won't matter. It works well, though.
The good news is that the '83 FJ60 now runs better than ever, better than it ever did with the U.S. setup. Fact. Obviously has more power on tap. However, it's not perfect. There is a knock under substantial load going up steep grades, otherwise it is smooth in any other load situation. Mechanic set the advance at 7 degrees, he said, though I have not checked it. Have only had it back in my possession for 4 weeks, so might still need some detail work to be done, adjusting the timing maybe more.to do.. Overall, am very happy with the TPI kit, as it has been, performance wise, at least the equal of the setup mentioned earlier, by the other mechanic, with the other distributor (the one you are referencing) and coil which went like bonkers until the coil exploded after a month or so. Though it is still early.
I am in now way claiming that this is the definitive way to go, and would have preferred to have some of the more expert mechanics here actually work on it, but it was the best I could do for now. Am more than content with the TPI setup, though time will tell.
Sorry that I could not answer your actual question.

• Sad
Reactions: flx
Ok cool, so I am working on mine now. I ended up buying a 12 v internal resistor coil and traced the positive and negative wires from the igniter to the stock coil and out to the wiring harness, The wires with with the green connectors. Then I will be connecting them to the corresponding poles on the new coil. Then ground the distributor and run the “other” wire to the positive pole on the coil.

Last edited:
Ok, so my junk isn't working, at all I have both wires coming from the green connector to the the positive and the wire from the distributor going to the negative and the distributor grounded. The only thing I can think of is I need a coil with an external resistor to make this work. Is the firecracker coil a 6v or a 12 volt.

Sorry for having been absent for so long. Car went to two general purpose shops here who were unable to do anything with it. One of the shops who was recommended to me earlier in this thread would not even return repeated phone calls. Ended up taking it to the local independent "factory certified" Toyota mechanic. Sat there for 10 weeks before he got to it, which is why I didn't take it there to start with. He mostly specializes in old Toyotas and even he was a little hazy about what coil, with or without the ignitor, Pertronix type mod/or not, and how to wire it all in with the non-U.S distributor in question, and he does a lot of mods. I imagine he could have figured it out in a good way eventually, but I just needed my car back, so bought him the TPI Firecracker setup (Japanese 2F distributor, Gel coil, Japanese market spec wires and plugs) and had him just install that as a complete turnkey solution. I just got tired of dealing with it and not having a car. This town isn't really a hotbed of car people.
The distributor in that kit is not a Toyota factory part, but looks like the original part. I wasn't crazy about that, maybe it won't matter. It works well, though.
The good news is that the '83 FJ60 now runs better than ever, better than it ever did with the U.S. setup. Fact. Obviously has more power on tap. However, it's not perfect. There is a knock under substantial load going up steep grades, otherwise it is smooth in any other load situation. Mechanic set the advance at 7 degrees, he said, though I have not checked it. Have only had it back in my possession for 4 weeks, so might still need some detail work to be done, adjusting the timing maybe more.to do.. Overall, am very happy with the TPI kit, as it has been, performance wise, at least the equal of the setup mentioned earlier, by the other mechanic, with the other distributor (the one you are referencing) and coil which went like bonkers until the coil exploded after a month or so. Though it is still early.
I am in now way claiming that this is the definitive way to go, and would have preferred to have some of the more expert mechanics here actually work on it, but it was the best I could do for now. Am more than content with the TPI setup, though time will tell.
Sorry that I could not answer your actual question.
I got my junk to work with the TPI coil that comes with the firecracker set up. Question how did you get your tach to work. (I need my AC!)

Tach works, will see if I can get and post a photo of the wiring, though I think it was just all wired in according to the TPI firecracker directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom