Need advice 03-05 with Supercharger or 06/07 w/o ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to decide whether to get a 03-05 and put a supercharger on it, or just get an 06/07 without. Seems like buying an older one may be cheaper..
Thanks

Unless you find one with the SC already on it, it's probably cost prohibitive vs. buying a 06-07. The TRD superchargers have actually gone up in price since they were discontinued.

A properly setup S/C on the '03-'05 will exceed the power output of the '06/'07. Though another consideration would be reliability of the overall setup.

Definitely a tough choice.

I would go for a newer car as it will have lesser wear costs over all. And then when I get extra money some day I'll fit sc on the newer one and get even more power. Personally I find the v8 vvti very slow after owning chipped 1hdfte ECU chipped amazon.

I am very happy with my '99 with the TRD supercharger- makes the vehicle feel light and it is surprisingly fast off the line when I need it to be.

Yeah, that would be the cat's meow, but the 2UZ in the 80 is from a tundra, and I am a little concerned about the weaker connecting rod controversy in the 2UZ tundra vs 2UZ landcruiser, so I won't supercharge the 80. However, I am running 33's and 4.88's so it feels nimble and fast (for an 80, that is).

What's your source for the SC? If you can't find one, then there is no point in considering it. I would just buy an '07 and call it a day

I feel the 06 is plenty fast with the power button left on.

The mileage is horrible :meh:

Maybe you consider an 08+ 381 hp :cool:

Thanks for the tips.
I can find a SC if I want to go that route.
Leaning towards 06/07
Will post pics when the time comes.
Anyone in Texas got one for sale?
Looking for grey or black.

I made this same decision and decided to go a little older and just replace the worn out parts. The 03-04's last November were between 25-32k in my area. The 06 and 07's in the high 30k range. I got a 01 LX470 for 15k and spent the 10k on upgrades including Super Charger, upgraded brakes, ARB bumpers and a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't have been able to get with a newer model. PRetty much every vouches for the longevity of the engines and drive train so the suspension (AHC or delete it for a normal OME or IronMan setup) and exhaust seemed to be the biggest systems I'd need to worry about.

If you go the SC route, make sure you educate yourself, it is not an easy path but now that I have mine installed I am thrilled with it.

SR.GRINGO said:
I feel the 06 is plenty fast with the power button left on.

The mileage is horrible :meh:

Maybe you consider an 08+ 381 hp :cool:

Power button ? Is that because it's the VVTI engine ? Or just a feature for that year??

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

moooooooo said:
Power button ? Is that because it's the VVTI engine ? Or just a feature for that year??

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Nope even 80's have it. It just shifts later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom