Mystery antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thatcabledude

GOLD Star
Threads
Found this antenna. I figure it’s a “center loaded” or “helical coil” CB antenna. I’m just curious if there’s anyway to tell anything about it specs? Like the length it’s been trimmed to (15”) or the number of winds on the coil and their spacing.

B91003CB-8C6E-41D9-A123-07B32AF2F899.jpeg

image.jpg

Sure looks like something in the HF frequency range with a coil that large. Probably the best bet is get it connected to an antenna analyzer to see where it's resonant. Know any local hams?

Sure looks like something in the HF frequency range with a coil that large. Probably the best bet is get it connected to an antenna analyzer to see where it's resonant. Know any local hams?
I don’t know any personally, but theres an old guy in town with antennas out the wazoo on his Prius that kinda owes me a favor I could probably ask. Lol

Given that description, I'm pretty sure he knows someone that has an analyzer or has one himself, there are some pretty inexpensive devices now.

The first picture didn't show the bottom of the antenna. What type of connection is on the bottom? Old guy in town with antennas out the wazoo ... Sounds like me but I'm a little out side of driving distance. There are hand held devices and ones that plug into the USB port, it makes my laptop a piece of test equipment.

Larry in El Paso

The first picture didn't show the bottom of the antenna. What type of connection is on the bottom? Old guy in town with antennas out the wazoo ... Sounds like me but I'm a little out side of driving distance. There are hand held devices and ones that plug into the USB port, it makes my laptop a piece of test equipment.

Larry in El Paso
Oh yeah, my bad. It threads onto a regular stud that a Firestick CB antenna would thread onto.

For nothing more than grins I plugged it into a CB radio earlier to compare to my 4' Firestick. I can say that the nearest weather band came in clearer with it. I didn't have anyone to transmit to to see how that did.

Found this antenna. I figure it’s a “center loaded” or “helical coil” CB antenna. I’m just curious if there’s anyway to tell anything about it specs? Like the length it’s been trimmed to (15”) or the number of winds on the coil and their spacing.

View attachment 2695067

Looks like a drive shaft to me.

Seriously though, the antenna is not familiar to me. Looks expensive for a cb antenna, but I have seen some truckers with one like that on their side mirror so it's possible I guess.

Looks like a drive shaft to me.

Seriously though, the antenna is not familiar to me. Looks expensive for a cb antenna, but I have seen some truckers with one like that on their side mirror so it's possible I guess.
I think that’s what it is... A mega overkill trucker antenna. I forgot to mention it was a roadside find. I’m going to leave it on the truck and see what it picks up when I’m closer to the interstate. It’s kinda goofy looking that’s for sure.

My nephew texted a pic of work where he is motorpool for county rigs including the Sheriff APC (whatever they call those SWAT -looking Ford platform (or sidemirrors anyhow) - It was some ~2yrs ago, but I think it had that antenna if the tip slides into the body (???)

I’ll see if pic is around, IDK dik about anything over Firesticks CB for land / marine UHF radios.

I think that’s what it is... A mega overkill trucker antenna. I forgot to mention it was a roadside find. I’m going to leave it on the truck and see what it picks up when I’m closer to the interstate. It’s kinda goofy looking that’s for sure.
check SWR before using it to make sure that you don't cook your radio...

I don’t know any personally, but theres an old guy in town with antennas out the wazoo on his Prius that kinda owes me a favor I could probably ask. Lol
Perhaps if it’s a Prius with antennas out the wazoo, the owner is trying to attract lightning. (The ultimate in “quick charge”)

Perhaps if it’s a Prius with antennas out the wazoo, the owner is trying to attract lightning. (The ultimate in “quick charge”)
Lightning is actually why I came across this guy. 🤣 It blew up an amplifier across the street from his house. And of course he had to come talk to me. Next thing you know I’m adjusting antennas on his house.

Lightning is actually why I came across this guy. 🤣 It blew up an amplifier across the street from his house. And of course he had to come talk to me. Next thing you know I’m adjusting antennas on his house.
Now that’s funny. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom