Mysterious Power Problem Solved

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I got the truck back from H&R it just doesn't seem to have the get up and go it had before. Tonight on the freeway it was struggling to hold 105 in fifth going up Mount Leaman. By the time I passed the rest stop it occured to me that they had cleaned the inside of the truck. Sure enough the cleaners had pressed the AC button (lights burnt out) and I had been running AC all week. :doh::eek:

Was just a tad bit worried, as I leave for PG on Thursday. Man does that AC suck the power away.

Since I got the truck back from H&R it just doesn't seem to have the get up and go it had before. Tonight on the freeway it was struggling to hold 105 in fifth going up Mount Leaman. By the time I passed the rest stop it occured to me that they had cleaned the inside of the truck. Sure enough the cleaners had pressed the AC button (lights burnt out) and I had been running AC all week. :doh::eek:

Was just a tad bit worried, as I leave for PG on Thursday. Man does that AC suck the power away.

You probably paid for that light a dozen times this week if the A/C sucks back that much power. My power loss is barely noticable when the A/C is on.

Cmon I could barely notice the aircon in my old 2lte. lol

You can notice a power increase after turning the AC on, if you time it with down hill part of the road. But seriously I am surprised you can actually feel the difference. Maybe the compressor has some internal mechanical resistance, bad bearing or similar.

I could always feel the AC dag on our old Corolla as well. I had to turn the AC off on that one to go up any decent grade. There is no bearing noise. I know the AC idleup diaphram is shot. Perhaps that is affecting the position of the butterfly valve when it is on. I haven't had time to understand how this sytem works. Its not too much of a worry for me because living on the wet coast we rarely have much need for AC and it always messes up my sinuses.

John, I've been asking about a 4.2l Nissan turbo exhaust manifold and they tell me that the Nissan Patrol isn't really big here because the dealers think all the parts are gold plated!! There are Patrols out there but I have not seen many turbo's.

Thanks for looking Charles. I have gotten a decent price quote from Dave in Japan. It is about $150 less than the best price I have gotten from Australia. First I need to do the suspension lift and then I will see about a turbo. I am always on the lookout for a disco potato on Craigslists. Apparently that is the best match ofr the TD4.2. If ICBC gets Tire Craft to pay for their mistake, then I will be able to move on the suspension lift in May. If not, well it back to saving for a while. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom