My UZJ40 Build - 2UZ iForce V8 and a750f 5spd auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What can I say that others have already said? Awesome build. I wish I had seen your thread a few weeks earlier. I am a pilot based in Kona Hawaii for Mokulele Airlines and was in LAS visiting a buddy that runs the Atlantic there. Maybe next time as I would love to see your rig.

One of the best parts of my job is scouting out camping sites and off road trails while flying around. We saw this one yesterday and decided to land and check it out. Today was my day off, so we went out and found the same place! Took about 4 minutes to get there from Vegas by air, and about 40 on the ground!

heli1.jpg

heli2.jpg

heli3.jpg

heli4.jpg
Just spent a few hours reading through this thread and awesome is definitely an understatement...Can't wait to read about the new build! Also sweet helicopter:)

What can I say that others have already said? Awesome build. I wish I had seen your thread a few weeks earlier. I am a pilot based in Kona Hawaii for Mokulele Airlines and was in LAS visiting a buddy that runs the Atlantic there. Maybe next time as I would love to see your rig.

Let me know! We are down by Signature on the south side of the field.

Just spent a few hours reading through this thread and awesome is definitely an understatement...Can't wait to read about the new build! Also sweet helicopter:)

Thanks! It's not mine, but it is sweet!

Maverick if I see the Livery right?

Indeed... that's our training aircraft.

Went camping over the weekend and really enjoyed the setup! After using it twice now, I can remove everything, finalize the metal work, plumbing, and wiring, paint it, reinstall everything, and it should be finished for good!

Awesome little spot on the Colorado River by Lake Mohave

20170527_165911-1(1).jpg

20170527_191942_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170527_192201_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170527_192613_Richtone(HDR).jpg

We took a different route out than we did in. It took almost twice as long, but the views were amazing and the trail was awesome!

20170528_100115_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170528_100341_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Wife wanted to drive for a while

20170528_102228.jpg

We are able to keep the reverse camera on to keep an eye on the trailer on the trails

20170528_102229.jpg

20170528_103657_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170528_103729_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170528_103816_Richtone(HDR).jpg

We had a great weekend! 40 and the trailer did great! It was nice having the AC blasting on the way home in 95 degree desert heat!

Amazing

Props, Dude, livin' the life! Where's the envy emogee?

The two Blue Sea ports are pictured open below. One 12v port and one twin USB port:

20150103_190513.jpg

I can see the PN 1016 on the USB port item,

is the other the 1011 and you removed the bezels that came with them?

Thanks,
GB

I bet that thing flexes nice. Whatever springs you used, looks like they give you a great shackle angle unlike many 40 series sua lifted springs.

It's pretty good! I feel like the springs are broken in now. I have almost 7,000 miles on it since the rebuild.

The rear spring hanger locations are stock, but the front are slid forward a bit. I was able to dial in the shackle angle before welding them on. I was initially a bit nervous about using longer shackles due to the angle, but it all worked out.

Thanks for following along!

Awesome rig man!! A lot of ideas for my 74 I'm starting this winter.

Question: I'm planning to do a similar style in that I want the creature comforts such as a cabin that is as quiet as possible, water tight, dust resistant (I live in Boise ) a/c and good heat etc. now that you've got some time on the rig, are you as happy as you think you could be with the sound deadening and heat prevention method you went with?

How is the raptor coating holding up on top of the coatings of lizard skin? I was thinking of going line-x underneath and then doing the ceramic and sound deadening above but now you are a test bed for me so...

Also, curious about the por15 on the chassis. I'm in between on that vs powder coating.

From the looks of things and the detail and research I'm inclined to go the same route you went mainly because it appears your research is, well, thorough. But just curious about retrospect. Thanks for the info!! That is, without a doubt, the cleanest build with the most ingenuity I've seen yet!!

Awesome rig man!! A lot of ideas for my 74 I'm starting this winter.

Question: I'm planning to do a similar style in that I want the creature comforts such as a cabin that is as quiet as possible, water tight, dust resistant (I live in Boise ) a/c and good heat etc. now that you've got some time on the rig, are you as happy as you think you could be with the sound deadening and heat prevention method you went with?

How is the raptor coating holding up on top of the coatings of lizard skin? I was thinking of going line-x underneath and then doing the ceramic and sound deadening above but now you are a test bed for me so...

Also, curious about the por15 on the chassis. I'm in between on that vs powder coating.

From the looks of things and the detail and research I'm inclined to go the same route you went mainly because it appears your research is, well, thorough. But just curious about retrospect. Thanks for the info!! That is, without a doubt, the cleanest build with the most ingenuity I've seen yet!!

I remember picking my 40 up from Portland and driving it back to Boise. I wore flip flops for some of the trip, and I was shocked how hot the metal was under my feet. Now, with the Lizard Skin, carpet insulation, and carpet, I don't feel the heat at all. I'm sure its a combination of all of those products, but I would definitely do it over again.

If you Linex, you need to do if after the sound deadening. Lizard Skin says the sound deadening material has to be the first layer on the metal.

The Raptor Liner still looks brand new, but it's all under carpet. It sees no sunlight or shoes. Even if I didn't have carpet though, I have no doubts in it. I just used it on the fenders and belly of my trailer and I'm still really happy with it.

Thanks for the comments! There are some things I would do different in my build, but the Lizard Skin, Raptor Liner, and carpet are not one of them.

You're asking about my vent windows...?

Yes. Unfortunately some kids broke out one of my side windows while not was in front of my house so since I have to replace it, may as well do em both. I wanted to do sliders but since they would be hard to open and close on the road I'm thinkin about what you did. Thanks again.

Continue to love the build man. A few questions on the trailer...
1. Is there empty space inside behind the drawers and fridge? It kinda seems so...
2. If so, how do you access it?
3. Did you coat the inside with something? Or will you just paint it?
4. Did you add shocks to damped the trailer's ride at all?

One other question,

Which rear windows are those? Thanks!

They are factory hard top sides from a 77+. I suppose you could modify a pre 77, but it would be a huge effort, and I'm not sure it would be worth it. I think it would be easier to ad aftermarket sliding windows.

Continue to love the build man. A few questions on the trailer...
1. Is there empty space inside behind the drawers and fridge? It kinda seems so...
2. If so, how do you access it?
3. Did you coat the inside with something? Or will you just paint it?
4. Did you add shocks to damped the trailer's ride at all?

Hey there!

1. Yes, although the fridge takes up about 2/3 the length of the trailer. The drawers only take up about 1/5 of the length. I did divide the two sides with a divider so I could keep everything separate (mostly firewood from our other camping stuff).

2. I thought about hinging the top because that seems like the popular thing to do with these trailers. But I can't imagine having to get in the trailer with the entire camp set up. The tent would have to fold a bit, messing up the bedding and anything else inside. Plus, the awnings and tables would be in the way. Lastly, with the height of the trailer sides, it would be extremely difficult to access anything on the opposite side of the opening or down toward the hinges.

I decided to do 2 doors up front. Each door is 22x22", so plenty of room to access each compartment. The doors have pins on them to lock them in the open position while at camp.

20170609_165847.jpg

20170609_165906.jpg

3. The inside is coated with POR15, and the bottom of the insides are Raptor Line'd as well.

4. No, not yet! But I need to! The last time I was off road with it, I aired the trailer tires down to 15 or so and it didn't bounce at all, but I will still add them soon!

Thanks for following along!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom