My UZJ40 Build - 2UZ iForce V8 and a750f 5spd auto (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice fj but can you tell me about the bilstein 5165? What's the part number for your shocks and did you have to mod the factory mount? i also bought the 5100 for the fj40 but i don't see any parts number for the 5165 for our fj40. thanks

Yes, but not by much. Maybe 1/4-1/2".

I will see if I can find any. I don't remember taking any, but it was pretty easy. I just used some 2x2 square tubing on the top of the OEM radiator supports, then attached my radiator to that.

Thanks!
Appreciate the effort! BTW, does the 4.7 run a e-fan or is it direct driven off the crank with a belt drive?

Cheers!

Appreciate the effort! BTW, does the 4.7 run a e-fan or is it direct driven off the crank with a belt drive?

Cheers!

It runs a factory fan clutch. I didn't have clearance for that, so I'm running a 3300cfm electric fan (also needed electric fan for my AC).

This build is a good example that no matter what you want out of your fj40, if done right you end up with a unique and desirable vehicle. Whether it is a completely original example or a build done to a very modern taste the value in the vehicles remain. This level of build is beyond most of us for multiple reasons but provides an example that there is an fj40 for every style and all are appreciated.

This build is a good example that no matter what you want out of your fj40, if done right you end up with a unique and desirable vehicle. Whether it is a completely original example or a build done to a very modern taste the value in the vehicles remain. This level of build is beyond most of us for multiple reasons but provides an example that there is an fj40 for every style and all are appreciated.

Thank you for the extremely nice and thoughtful comment!

This last weekend was a big milestone for my 40! It was the first time we were actually able to take it out camping! We had always taken it on day trips, but nothing really more than an hour away. With the trailer now usable (but not complete) we were able to load up a couple day's worth of supplies and go!

It was a huge time crunch though, as I was trying to get everything ready for Overland Expo West. I had about 3 weeks of stuff to do in 4 evenings. I got it inspected and registered at 9am the morning we were leaving town!

20170510_185712.jpg

Fridge out, table down, stove extended!

20170510_185617.jpg

Inspection station at Henderson DMV

20170511_085021_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170511_085331_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Getting its VIN etched!

20170511_085437_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Hurry back home, load everything up, and leave town by noon to get to Flagstaff by 4!!!

We arrived in Flagstaff right at 4PM without any issues! I was so relieved after the long week, and I was extremely excited to park and set everything up!

20170511_164758.jpg

20170511_164819_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170511_174359_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170511_183734_Richtone(HDR).jpg

We had a great time at OEW! Met some awesome people, saw awesome vehicles and products, and of course spent some $$$ on new gear! It was a great weekend and the hard work on the trailer paid off! Out of all the extremely expensive and nice trailers I saw there, I didn't see any I'd rather have. I like the size, look, and functionality of mine, and so far, I wouldn't change anything about it.

Back at home after an awesome weekend-

20170513_152632_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I can't describe how satisfying it was using everything I had been daydreaming about for the last 6 years... (dual batteries, auxiliary lighting, air compressor, auxiliary USB charging areas, the cooler(s), etc). All of the features I packed into the 40 were used, as well as everything I wanted out of the trailer.

Rebuilding a vehicle and building a trailer from scratch and being able to use them in harmony has been one of the more rewarding things I've done!

Really great trailer! Super stout, must weigh a ton. Are those Durham drawers? I have a bunch I use in my shop, really sturdy. No issues rattling out of their slider trays?

Bravo - reading this thread has been thoroughly satisfying

Could you elaborate on the rear springs? Are they the CS001R or the 002R? How is the pinion angle and such with those shackles? I have the exact same shackles and was looking to run OME springs. Your ride height looks exactly like what I am looking for. Amazing build as well!

So I see the rotopax on your 4 plus cooler carrier, I have the same 4 plus as well. Did the rotopax mount bolt directly to the baskets provided holes, or did you have to drill to mount? Nice set up!

Great build!

First class work just like your 40. I find myself saying "wow" as I keep seeing the little details.

Thank you!

Really great trailer! Super stout, must weigh a ton. Are those Durham drawers? I have a bunch I use in my shop, really sturdy. No issues rattling out of their slider trays?

The trailer weighs about 1,500 lbs fully loaded with 18g of water, 4g of fuel, tools, tent, awnings, etc. Yes, they're Durham drawers. They are amazing for the price! They haven't rattled out, there really isn't anywhere for them to go! Durham actually makes the same rack for automotive use, so I wasn't too worried about using these!

Great job Riley!!

I can see the joy in Shondelle's and Onxy's faces!!

They were both happy! Thanks Danny!

Bravo - reading this thread has been thoroughly satisfying

Thank you sir!

Looks great. It's nice that your actually using it for what you made it for. Some people build awesome rigs, then are afraid to actually use them.

It wasn't easy... but after the first few times out I started to not care as much. It's great seeing it out in the wilderness!

Could you elaborate on the rear springs? Are they the CS001R or the 002R? How is the pinion angle and such with those shackles? I have the exact same shackles and was looking to run OME springs. Your ride height looks exactly like what I am looking for. Amazing build as well!

001. I used shims to point the pinion at the rear TC output so I could use a double cardan driveshaft. No binding issues at all. Rear DS is just over 19".

So I see the rotopax on your 4 plus cooler carrier, I have the same 4 plus as well. Did the rotopax mount bolt directly to the baskets provided holes, or did you have to drill to mount? Nice set up!

I believe I had to drill one hole, but I used one of the 'factory' holes as well. The 2 gallon fits in between the 35" spare and the cooler carrier. The 3 gallon is too wide.

Great build!

Thank you!

Very Impressive! What's your next project?

You will be seeing a new thread soon. Next project beginning next week.

It will be a long travel FJ45 with a iForce 3UR 5.7. Cab, chassis, and motor already procured. Long travel ordered last Friday. It will be a high speed desert truck with 17" of travel.

Can't wait to see the new project!!

Last edited:

It will be a long travel FJ45 with a iForce 3UR 5.7. Cab, chassis, and motor already procured. Long travel ordered last Friday. It will be a high speed desert truck with 17" of travel.

Wait I thought you were going to build my 75...

I like the sound of this. I believe ICON was intending to use Toyota engines, but Toyota's streamlined production system (lean manufacturing) wasn't able to accommodate such a small builder, hence the Chebby engines they use.

OOOOOHHHH, I wish I had a million dollars so I could hire you to do mine up right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom