My lifelong Toyota addiction................ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

having been recently using these forums as a source of information gathering I thought it was about time I signed up and started to give back as much as I can.

I'm a 39 year old engineer with an adult lifetime experience working on cars and motorcycles. I race a Suzuki RG125 that I custom built using 2nd hand parts from six different motorcycles.
Bucket Bike at Night.jpg

I also have had a life long addiction to all things Toyota. I have built all sorts of silly cars over the years. Most recently an old RN40 Hilux powered with a 3SGE beams engine and 6 speed box out of a Toyota Altezza.

Now for the next project..........

Ok so here's where this is going to take my skills to the next level.
I am in the process of doing a deal to purchase a LJ78 Prado rolling Chassis.
I already have an old Dyna Truck that is going to donate its 15B-F engine
I'm thinking I'll use the gearbox out of a BJ71 Land Cruiser for its PTO to Run a winch (via a hydraulic pump but more about this down the track)
I am gathering parts required to build a compound turbo setup for the 15B engine. I already have a TD04-H turbo for the primary (smaller, closest to the engine) turbo.
I'm looking for a TD06 or similar for the secondary turbo.
I have a double cab off a 1992 Hilux that I plan to fit the chassis with custom chassis mounts.

So I will open this up to members with experience messing with the B series engines. How does the 15B like boost?
I know there are guys in Thailand with compound turbo setups on these engines fitted into all sorts from Daihatsu Rocky's to Hilux's to Landcruisers. But any advice in english would be Helpfull.

Next question. Running shortened 80 series Landcruiser axels front and Back. Any tips? I plan to take the entire housings and diffs to a reputable engineering shop to be shortened and modified to fit.

Thanks in advance

JtheSpanner

Hello,

Are the LJ78 axles in good shape?

If they are, I would refurbish and keep them.

If you go down the 80 Series axles, you may be tempted to get the whole chassis. It may escalate really quick after that.

I guess your local DoT does not allow wheels beyond guards/fenders.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

Are the LJ78 axles in good shape?

If they are, I would refurbish and keep them.

If you go down the 80 Series axles, you may be tempted to get the whole chassis. It may escalate really quick after that.

I guess your local DoT does not allow wheels beyond guards/fenders.

Juan
Yeah unknown condition at (by me at least) at this stage. I have been informed by the wrecker that the front differential is not there.

My main reasoning going to the expense of getting 80 series differentials housings and axels shortened to fit was the availability of locking diffs such as ARB, of course the 80 axels will be a lot stronger also. But then the problem will be that all I will have done is move the weak link to another location on the vehicle...... where that is I guess I'll find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom