My Importation Success Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moondog-again welcome. Probably the best way to obtain information will be to post individual questions and/or topics in a new thread. you'll get the benefit of a wider audiance w/ specific threads. Also, you and your sister might consider having your own screen names. Will probably save confusion. But, your in the right place. lots of helpful people here. Don't forget to scan the 40-60's link also as there will be alot more information there as the BJ's and FJ's are virtually identical with exception to some electricals and diesel engines. Hopefully that helps

Bliss is in the northern lower penninsula of michigan, a wee little town, not on most maps. Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to post pics? I try and it redirects me to something to log in, even when i already am.

Buy a silver star and you'll be able to post pics quite easily. It's a donation to help defray the costs associated with the site upkeep. Congrats to you from another Toyota diesel admirer.

Like everyone said, welcome. The little box with the wires is the fusible link box. They are the fusible liks that go to everything else. Below is a link that I found on Mud where you can download manuals about your truck. This should make life a little easier. If you need anything else let me know as I have the same truck (84 BJ60) and the factory manuals.
Good Luck.
http://www.toy4x4.org/download.php
P.S. The web site is in French (whcih can be a pain if you don't know it) but the manuals are in English and it should be easy enough to figure out which you need.

Well, once the landcruisers are running, perhaps I will be able to afford a silver star. I'd like to be able to make a contribution to this site, it's been really helpful, but right now all of my spare money is going toward the landcruisers. Maybe I can find somewhere I can post them and post a link on here in the meantime.

Moondog,
Did you keep a couple of the letter from your local Toyota dealership that helped you get the trucks across the border?

If so, could you post it in the near future so that those of us interested could see exactly how things were worded to meet U.S. Customs' requirements?

Or send it to me as an attachment and I'll try to post it if anyone is interested.

It interest me if this letter format would help make it easier to bring 70 series over the border.

Michael

Heres the letter, hope it helps

This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention standards upon its original date of manufacture. Toyota Landcruisers manufactured in Japan for sale in Canada between 1981-1988 have been found compliant by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They have been determined by the NHTSA to be substantially similar to motor vehicles for sale or importation into the United States as determined under 49 U.S.C 30141 (a)(1)(A). They have been designated VSA Vehicle Eligibility Number 252. VSA numbers are giving only to vehicles which the Administrator of the NHTSA has determined to be eligible for importation without modification. This vehicle also conforms to all applicable E.P.A regulations and standards in effect upon its original date of manufacture. It has been found to be identical in all material respects to a U.S certified version regarding emissions.

I also have the dockets from the NHTSA when the decided that Landcruisers made for Canada were safe for us too, but I'll have to find that later. Newer and older Landcruisers have been given different VSA numbers, they can be found online. I also found the U.S Customs Importing Handbook, 200 pages, didn't end up doing much. Our advice, call the border you are crossing, talk to people amd make sure you have what they want, it changes Port to Port and person to person. But if you have your Toyota letter, and print out these 2 forms from online somewhere: EPA from: 3520-1, NHTSA form: HS-7 then you should be good.

At the top of this letter should be a chart with Make, Model, Year, Color, Vin, VSA number, Date of Manufacture,

Hope it helps. Thats the wording.

Well, once the landcruisers are running, perhaps I will be able to afford a silver star. I'd like to be able to make a contribution to this site, it's been really helpful, but right now all of my spare money is going toward the landcruisers. Maybe I can find somewhere I can post them and post a link on here in the meantime.

Try using flickr for your photos, check out the link on my signature and you can get more info there, they have a free membership, granted if you like photography they its worth the $25 a year for the full deal.

I also have the dockets from the NHTSA when the decided that Landcruisers made for Canada were safe for us too, but I'll have to find that later. Newer and older Landcruisers have been given different VSA numbers, they can be found online. I also found the U.S Customs Importing Handbook, 200 pages, didn't end up doing much. Our advice, call the border you are crossing, talk to people amd make sure you have what they want, it changes Port to Port and person to person. But if you have your Toyota letter, and print out these 2 forms from online somewhere: EPA from: 3520-1, NHTSA form: HS-7 then you should be good.

At the top of this letter should be a chart with Make, Model, Year, Color, Vin, VSA number, Date of Manufacture,

Hope it helps. Thats the wording.

Thank you, that helps.

I have actually found the VSA numbers before, however, I never realized what their significants were if you didn't have a letter from Toyota. Now I know that if I can get the VSA and a friendly dealership, I could have the letter I need to get a 70 over without going through a RI.

As for the other paperwor, I already have that when I imported my FJ45, though it was a far easier process.

Now it begs the question concerning the 80-series being built in Venezuela?? They are suppose to be exactly the same as the ones available here with safety and emissions, but available with 5-speed manuals more basic utilitarian features.

Moondog, your story has been added to the FAQ for importing at the top of the page. Thanks.

You and your sister should get seperate names on here.

For tech start a new thread asking those questions, and we can keep this thread about your importing.

Cheers, BB

So, does this mean Dan can issue letters for us?

Outstanding question. He would be an expert in determining what import models meet or exceed U.S. standards.

Outstanding question. He would be an expert in determining what import models meet or exceed U.S. standards.

As much as I would love to believe it I would not think that he, nor American Toyota that he works for, would do it. Heck, I wouldn't if I were him.

Not that it probably matters or anything, but I have seen a few LHD 80 (N. American-spec) imported and legelly registered/titled here in Japan, indicating that they are satisfactory/comparable to the JDM counterparts, FWIW.

Mot

My thoughts exactly, hence the question. I PMed him and told him of the thread, so we'll get an answer from him.

Moondog,

Are you sure the HJ just needs a head gasket? I'm a friend of Jamie's (the guy you picked the truck up from) i thought it might be worse than just the head gasket? Check the #6 cylinder, i thought it had very low compression.

Good luck on your resto, I really like that HJ.

Cheers.

Adam

As much as I would love to believe it I would not think that he, nor American Toyota that he works for, would do it. Heck, I wouldn't if I were him.

Not that it probably matters or anything, but I have seen a few LHD 80 (N. American-spec) imported and legelly registered/titled here in Japan, indicating that they are satisfactory/comparable to the JDM counterparts, FWIW.

Mot

My thoughts exactly, hence the question. I PMed him and told him of the thread, so we'll get an answer from him.

You dont need to be Dan to read and understand this. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import

There are at least a dozen major hurdles to overcome.
We have also got an importation sticky at the top of this forum and its all been covered in great length before

You dont need to be Dan to read and understand this. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import

There are at least a dozen major hurdles to overcome.
We have also got an importation sticky at the top of this forum and its all been covered in great length before

I understand the requirements, but if one can bypass the RI process, by getting a letter from Dan or a Toyota dealership, then that would be ideal both from a cost and time perspective.

I understand the requirements, but if one can bypass the RI process, by getting a letter from Dan or a Toyota dealership, then that would be ideal both from a cost and time perspective.

If you understand the requirements then you read the stipulation that the letter NOT be from a manufacturer's dealership.

Sounds like a way toward the crusher.

From above link: "...The importer obtains a letter from the vehicle’s original manufacturer, on the manufacturer’s letterhead (and not that of a franchised dealer)..."

If you understand the requirements then you read the stipulation that the letter NOT be from a manufacturer's dealership.

Sounds like a way toward the crusher.

From above link: "...The importer obtains a letter from the vehicle’s original manufacturer, on the manufacturer’s letterhead (and not that of a franchised dealer)..."

well, if they are letting it in with just the dealer letter AND border patrol allows it and gets a stamp certifying it meets DOT and EPA, then I do not see how they can take your vehicle and crush it if THEY made the mistake if it were deemed that the letter be inadmissable.

Maybe there is a fine line here between the definition of Toyota letterhead versus say 'John Elway Toyota' letterhead or 'Insert Your Local Dealership's Name Here' letterhead.

Just a thought.

well, if they are letting it in with just the dealer letter AND border patrol allows it and gets a stamp certifying it meets DOT and EPA, then I do not see how they can take your vehicle and crush it if THEY made the mistake if it were deemed that the letter be inadmissable.

Yeah but arent Canadian spec vehicles different?
Writing a letter stating a JDM vehicle complies with all the NHTSA requirements when it clearly it doesnt is suicide.
The NHTSA even say they are not fans of RHD drive vehcles because of safety issues and when there is LHD models already being sold in the US they are even more unlikely to grant approval.

We are talking about JDM vehicles are we not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom