My first trip to Merus Adventure Park in Texas coming up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll be leaving Austin early tomorrow morning for the eight-hour drive up to Merus Adventure Park in Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo for their inaugural "Texas Toyota Takeover". If you are not familiar, Palo Duro Canyon is the second largest canyon in the U.S. behind that other canyon. This will be my first trip to Merus and my first big trip of the "season" with trips to Colorado and Utah coming later this Summer and Fall. I've done a lot of prep to get the 'Stak ready for this year's Overlanding season and I'm itching to get going. For those who are interested in seeing what Merus is all about, I'll be posting updates on my Instagram @sleestak100. This year, in addition to my GoPro, I've added a DJI Mavic Air 2 to the A/V kit so I hope to be able to share some dramatic footage. I'll try to keep the rubber side down!
Bonus - It's supposed to be 20 degrees cooler in PDC than in Austin this weekend!

View attachment 3028357

update?

OK, Here's a brief update. The park is super cool and the people who run it are great. I happened to be HOT when we were there (105 degrees and sunny) so that wasn't optimal, but it was pretty dry so that helped. The camping options were primitive, but the views were great. I would recommend camping on the rim if it is hot out. It's 7-10 degrees warmer down in the canyon than it is on the rim. Also, the Cedar Flies in the canyon were insane in certain areas. I'm guessing this is seasonal. They offer a nice mix of easy dirt roads (green) to quite difficult trails so you can "choose your own adventure". We did some blue trails mixed in with a black diamond. It was super fun, but not as scary as some of the stuff I've done in Colorado and Utah. You just don't have the elevation exposure that you do in the mountains. Although, I'm pretty certain you can get yourself in trouble here if you arent using your head. Clause, TX is the nearest town (20 minutes each way) if you need to run out for gas or provisions while at the park. Claude is pretty small so the options are limited. I will definitely go back in the Spring or the Fall.

D423E1EF-F92B-4F73-AAD0-FA90F606BE4B.jpg
IMG_5785.jpg
IMG_5794.jpg
IMG_5800.jpg
IMG_5809crop.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom