My First Snap-On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Poser link=board=14;threadid=6782;start=msg56416#msg56416 date=1067405598]
Todd/Gumby

And on your "dinks" question:

I do not hide behind insinuations. If I had a problem with you, or anyone, they would know about it. The world IS black and white. There are good people and bad people everywhere, in everything, ESPECIALLY hobbiests, who take their hobby and selves WAY TOO SERIOUS.

[/quote]

Steve,

Couldn't agree more. Those folks are pretty few and far between on this board. We have had pretty few on-line confrontations. We have some pretty serious Cruiserheads, but not too many that take themselves as seriously.

I had much better customer service with my first Snappy guy. The next one sucked and now I see the rep about once every 6 mos. This is not because I have few Snap on tools. When my shop was first stocked, not by me, every tool and peice of equipment was Snap on. I have, without over estimating, $30,000 in Snap on tools in my shop. We rarely, rarely use any of them. The equipment is mostly broken and they will not repair it and the hand tools are far too expensive to let the kids use. I've completly re-stocked with Craftsman. If a tool gets lost or stolen or misused, I can afford to replace it. I have been pretty darn happy with the quality of Most of their tools. The non-professional ratchets do kinda suck.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=14;threadid=6782;start=msg56447#msg56447 call me when it comes it. My last order was for a $2 green "condom." :D
-B-

might that have been for a dash light? ;)

John H

>> might that have been for a dash light? <<

Yep. That was how C-Dan referred to the part. His vocabulary tends to be a little crass from years of rubbing elbows with ... never mind. Maybe Junk is rubbing off on C-Dan. Pity.
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=14;threadid=6782;start=msg56530#msg56530 date=1067450003]
>> might that have been for a dash light? <<

Yep. That was how C-Dan referred to the part. His vocabulary tends to be a little crass from years of rubbing elbows with ... never mind. Maybe Junk is rubbing off on C-Dan. Pity.
-B-

[/quote]

actaully I beleive that is the aproved Toyota parts dept term for it.....at least thats what my parts guy calls em(no kiddin)

John H

Beowolf:

I understand what you are saying. I was not defending the thought process, or the company, just bringing it to light, becasue everyone wants to know why. In '93 I wrote to Snap On about customer service in this area(MN), and I met with a couple of thier regional reps. Did it do any good? I do not know, the dealers that were being dinks, quit.

Perhaps all of you people that have recieved poor service from Snap On dealers should write a letter to Snap On, outlining the situation, and asking them for an explination. Sitting out here and talking about it to people that can not dictate policy at a compnay is not going to get anything changed.

I think that they make a very good quality tool. They are not the only ones that make tools. Many people get by with much less in everything in thier lives, not just tools. It is all about what is best for you.

One more thing on customer service:

I have worn a pager since '92, to provide customer service to those I know, and those I do not, for Land Cruisers, and other 4x4's, by my choice. This stemmed from many negative dealings with Land Cruiser outfits in the late 80's, and knowing the frustrations of dealing with suppliers that do not do as they say. I know what customer service is all about. I have worked in it since day one as a paper boy, at age 11, and continue to do so for my own 4x4 shop, and a Caterpillar distributor that I was a wrench for, and now sell parts for. If I did not have a clue about what it means to take care of people, and the amount of dedication and commitment that it takes to walk the walk, I would not have anything close to the many things that I am blessed with, or the customer base that continually refers people to me.

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=14;threadid=6782;start=msg56452#msg56452 date=1067410792]
the heading to this reads like "my first hard-on"
[/quote] :D :D

Steve,

>> Perhaps all of you people ... should write a letter to Snap On,<<

I thought about that briefly, then decided it wasn't worth my time. Actually had forgotten about the whole deal until the experiences of others was expressed.

>> One more thing on customer service: <<

My comments were not directed at you or anyone other than the Snap-On business model. At some point their management will realize that customer service isn't up to the quality of their merchandise and they'll do something to identify the root cause and hopefully fix it.

:beer:

-B-

I'm not sure Snap On sees the need to change it's business model. The vast majority of their customers are very loyal wrenches. There is huge pressure for the new young guys to prove their commitment by buying the best tools. They give big money to the trade schools to pimp for them. They take care of the people who spend money on their stuff. They have grown in leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. They have bought many companies that used to supply them. They will also get little or no business from me. Even though I spend a couple of grand in tools each year, they won't even miss me a little bit.

[quote author=Beowulf

My comments were not directed at you or anyone other than the Snap-On business model. At some point their management will realize that customer service isn't up to the quality of their merchandise and they'll do something to identify the root cause and hopefully fix it.

:beer:

-B-

Would like to think that you might be right with this, but they have been around for over 75 years, catering to the mechanics at shops and not the individual off the street, so to think that they are going to change for this precieved small percentage of the pie is not likley. But, they did get a new president in the late 90's, and he decided to end the calander girls, for the great cause of PC, so who knows. One other thing is to remember that each of these people in the tool trucks own their own buisness, and right or wrong, they can and will do what they want. If they piss off enough people, they may wonder why they are hungry, and not selling anything. The one thing that most buisness people listen to is money, and if it is being effected somehow, things usually change.

-Steve

[quote author=Gumby link=board=14;threadid=6782;start=msg56799#msg56799 date=1067484249]
I'm not sure Snap On sees the need to change it's business model. The vast majority of their customers are very loyal wrenches. There is huge pressure for the new young guys to prove their commitment by buying the best tools. They give big money to the trade schools to pimp for them. They take care of the people who spend money on their stuff. They have grown in leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. They have bought many companies that used to supply them. They will also get little or no business from me. Even though I spend a couple of grand in tools each year, they won't even miss me a little bit.
[/quote]

Very true.

The aviation school I graduated from was very up front about a minimum tool list, and Snap On and MAC were both there, licking their chops at the new meat. I do not remember the instructors pressuring anyone to have a certain brand, but they did go over specific tools that they had found better than others over their years in the trade. You are not pimping a product when you say that Snap On line wrenches are better, they are, hands down (higher quality tool steel, and better fit and finish, resulting in less damage to the fastener, along with their screwdrivers) You are an example of this, in that you have found that the things that you work on, in your shop, do not require you, or your mechanics to have 15k in a storage unit, and another 25k or so in the drawers, and again, passing this along to younger people is a good thing. I agree that there is no reason for anyone to be in deep to a tool dealer, unless it is something that they are comfortable with, based on their personal situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom