My first knuckle service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this some kind of sick joke . . .

FA7B9D0C-74F2-4FAE-8761-50FD20904932.jpeg

Is this some kind of sick joke . . .

View attachment 2849006
Hahahaha yes it is… don’t take it apart unless you need to. 9 times out of 10 you’ll be fine. Unless you’ve broken a birfield or something in the joint is blocking its full range of motion I wouldn’t bother taking it apart. Spray it out really well with degreaser and then repack it with grease and go on your way.

Hahahaha yes it is… don’t take it apart unless you need to. 9 times out of 10 you’ll be fine. Unless you’ve broken a birfield or something in the joint is blocking its full range of motion I wouldn’t bother taking it apart. Spray it out really well with degreaser and then repack it with grease and go on your way.

Too late for that…I already took it apart. It was a soupy mess in there.

Too late for that…I already took it apart. It was a soupy mess in there.
Well, you can post some info here for the next guy who does it. I’m sure there’s an easy way to do it but you probably need the right set of tools. I’ve come to the realization that the factory had very specific order of operations and tools for tasks like this so that things would run smooth in the production process. We struggle with things sometimes because we don’t have the same tools or knowledge they had at the factory. Someone at some point was likely assembling dozens of birfields daily as a quota. There’s got to be an easy and straightforward way to get it done with little or no headache.

There are YouTube vids on the various methods people use to get the birf and lock ring back together.

I eventually got it together using the FSM method. Using a small screwdriver helped. It still took awhile.

I tired the hose clamp method. And the similar zip tie method. Neither worked. Maybe the birf on 70s or 80s is different, but I don’t really see how either of those methods would work on the 60. The screw hosing on the hose clamp hits the inner race before the axle is inserted enough. Same problem with the fastener-end of the zip tie. Maybe I had bulky hose clamps and zip ties.

If I doing this often, I think designing a pliers-like tool would be ideal. Although maybe a tack weld on the other end of the axle is the smart move. Add that to the list of reasons I need to learn to weld.

Last edited:
Good job!
You’re learning a whole lot, hu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom