For Sale MT - FJ40 3 speed transfer case with GM400 adapter plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeing if there is a need for this on this forum before I go to sell it on ebay. It came with my 1969 fj40 project and I have another transfer/transmission that I'm going to use. Make me an offer.

t3.jpeg
t4.jpeg
t2.jpeg
t1.jpeg

You should probably check what you actually have. 4 J would be October 74. These are the transition four speed tranfer case. The input gear and high speed gear are the same ratio as the three speed cases. The low range gear is same as the later four speed. The three speed case input gear will be 10 spline. The October 74 case would be a 16 spline input shaft.

You should probably check what you actually have. 4 J would be October 74. These are the transition four speed tranfer case. The input gear and high speed gear are the same ratio as the three speed cases. The low range gear is same as the later four speed. The three speed case input gear will be 10 spline. The October 74 case would be a 16 spline input shaft.
I'm a little late to the show, and I'm sure you know way more than me, but that is probably the spud shaft adapter you're looking at. My 40 is a 10/74 build and my case has no markings in that location and a way different front output cone.

I'm a little late to the show, and I'm sure you know way more than me, but that is probably the spud shaft adapter you're looking at. My 40 is a 10/74 build and my case has no markings in that location and a way different front output cone.

I realize that is a spud shaft. What your not seeing is the transfer case end which could be 10 spline or 16 spline. A 69 would be ten spline 74 would be sixteen. Those marks are stamped into all originally installed transfer cases. The other numbers represent the number made that month. Replacement transfer cases were not stamped. Same as Replacement engine blocks did not have a serial number stamped into them. The front nose cone could also be changed between years. Had a friend who bought a 3/79 in 1993 which I later bought in 1997. It has a 74 transfer case installed with a hybrid shifter use the 74 pieces on the transfer case and 79 pieces that mount to transmission. While it works I know this is a homered not something Toyota did at the factory.

You are so right. I get it. It's all speculation because it could be Frankensteined of multiple parts. Makes it difficult to order the proper replacement parts. My T-case has the later shifter assembly, so the shift rod is also different from this unit. Supports the theory mine is a replacement. It has a serial number, stamped on the back, not on that boss. Learning something every day.

And, sorry for hijacking the thread, but you get a free bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom