MSDS for AHC globes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the OEM Toyota AHC Suspension Control Pressure Accumulator (spheres, globes, etc)

Part numbers:

So, I got in touch with Amayama to order a set of globes. They quoted a good price initially, but sent me an email tonight that Japan Shipping won't let "pressurized" products ship without MSDS. If I can get an MSDS to them, hopefully I can get them through customs.

Can anyone help?

MSDS applies to chemicals. As far as I know the globes are shipped empty and aren't pressurized until you install them on your truck and pressurize the AHC system. Maybe I am misunderstanding the question?

I don't know much about these gizmos, but as I understand it the back side of the accumulator is charged with high pressure Nitrogen. Not much of a chemical, but I can understand needing the MSDS since there is something in there and it isn't clear what it is.

I understand the globe has some form of diaphragm, but if it uses nitrogen I figure it would be pressurized when installed. Maybe they are shipped charged, but I would be surprised that it needs a MSDS. For instance, I don't recall ever seeing a MSDS on any set of shocks I have ordered. Maybe it's just a international / customs thing.

If they indeed do need a MSDS, the manufacturer should be able to supply it.

Apparently Toyota can't or won't provide the MSDS. Maybe there isn't one. That's a good point about shocks. All I know is if I don't get an MSDS for these, I'll have to find another source that is likely 2x or more expensive.

upload_2015-4-19_20-59-2.png

Yes, of course they are charged with nitrogen, disregard any statement to the contrary. I could see how a freight handler may require some sort of documentary evidence describing the items, as might US customs and the air carrier, but an MSDS seems a bit of a stretch, but Parker Hannifin and other hydraulic manufacturers furnish MSDSs for their accumulators as the hazard category is compressed gas.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429528394.289338.jpg

Last edited:
I confirmed again that an msds is needed to get these parts off the docs.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Charles. I wonder if they could use this Sheet. It's for a cylinder of compressed Nitrogen. I think the asphyxiation concern for the AHC spheres is a little overstated. :)

I'm sure theyd rather have a sheet from the manufacturer, but it"s worth a try.

Hopefully the sheet will be ok, It's the same product under the same conditions. If asphyxiation is a problem then try taking data from Paddo's sheet which shows total compressed gas volume at 1.8l.

Hopefully. I forwarded the pdf to them this morning. No word yet.

I don't know if they just need to check a box that they have a msds, or if they are really doing due diligence for safety. I think this sheet will work fine as a relevant place holder. If they are really concerned about safety, I don't know that they will accept a buyer supplied sheet that doesn't clearly document the same article as being shipped. Who am I even to tell the reseller what's in these parts. I suspect they will ultimately need something from Toyota.

Clearly these little N2 containers do not pose an asphyxiation risk. Even if all 4 popped simultaneously, 8L of Nitrogen isn't going to hurt anybody unless they are in a pretty small airlocked space. But who am I to say that?

As an importer there is absolutely nothing prohibiting you creating your own SDS, as long as it follows the 16 section ANSI format like the BOC gases one or you can "harness concepts" from companies that manufacture accumulators like Eaton or Parker Hannifin. Strange but no one "approves" SDSs, nor do they have to be registered. If someone created an SDS for an accumulator(s) being imported to the U.S. it ideally would address DOT requirements for packaging, storage and transport like the Parker Hannifin generic accumulator SDS does.

That's intereating, and maybe alarming that msds can be authored by any Tom D or H.

Here's the response I got from the n2 cylinder msds.

"
The MSDS has to be for the exact part number/part, so it's a document supplied by the manufacturer of the part (Toyota's OEM). It must state the exact part number, not a substitute or part-match."

Surely Toyota has a sheet for this part!

Last edited:
Tried and Toyota will not supply the MSDS!

Somebody at Toyota has it, they probably just keep it out of consumer hands.

In some cases you need an MSDS for a freakin' Sharpie marker or a Duracell battery and those are all easy to find in industry because we must have them..

I'm sure they exist you just need to find the right contact person.

Will they give you an MSDS for Toyota red coolant for example?

So they are asking for the customer to get a MSDS to ship their own part. Logic seems low on that. Really seems like they are asking for something that doesn't exist..... MSDS mainly apply to chemicals. Nitrogen is about 80% of the air we breatheand not harmful. I think what is really needed is a handling document that describes what the item is.

I wonder why Amayama can't get the MSDS from their supplier whether it is Toyota or somebody else? After all, they sell Toyota OEM parts.

I was indignant at first as well, but then just because you or I say "It's only Nitrogen" doesn't really hold up in court if there is something else in there. The bottom line is the globes have warnings about pressurized substance. They need an MSDS to ship. How they got away with shipping before without the MSDS is the next question I have. It sounds like it was a detail that was overlooked by Japan's port control.

I really can't answer why they can't get the MSDS direct from Toyota. Surely Toyota has the same requirements to ship the part as Amayama has.

I just installed a used set of globes, but I'd still like to get a set of brand new globes. I'm not sure who to contact next.

I have a friend in dealer parts. I'll ask if he's seen anything like that.

UPDATE:
My parts friend gave me a SDS for accumulators, but it doesn't have part numbers on it. It was authored by HYDAC International. I think it has the info on it that would be needed, but doesn't say Toyota anywhere.

Does anyone have a contact in Japan that could ship these without all the redtape?

Last edited:
You can probably just make a MSDS with the information you have from Hydac and add the item number and manufacturer being Toyota. I don't think the shipping company will question the document if it looks official enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom