MP3 Integration Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2005 LX470. I am looking to get MP3 integration. I have read several threads about the VAIS and GROM technology. I have been looking at the VAIS option and am debating between the Bluetooth integration vs the usb/hard drive option. So I am looking to see if anyone has any specific information on the MML connection by VAIS. It appears that the Bluetooth system has been well liked by this forum but I do not see much in the way of the other device. It appears to offer the ability to plug in a usb jump drive, hard drive, or your device via usb and stream music. The main benefit I see with this is that I could put a large portion of my music on a 64 or 128gb jump drive and use if for music. Are there any pitfalls to this method or a reason to preferably purchase the Bluetooth option? Here are their respective websites.
VAIS Bluetooth: Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, USB, XM/Sirius SAT Radio, Video integration)
VAIS USB/Hard drive: Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, USB, XM/Sirius SAT Radio, Video integration)
GROM: 02-12 Toyota Scion Lexus USB Android iPhone car kit, Bluetooth capable

Thanks in advance.

For the sake of discussion it appears I imagine with Bluetooth the advantage is you can use phone apps like Pandora but with the USB you can have a large music library. However if you have enough storage on your phone that doesn't matter. Only plus with usb is the storage is cheap.

Yes I have an iPhone with 64gigs and it's plenty for me. If you have a desire to use other delivery items then you may want to consider the usb. I use tuneinpro, Pandora, and iTunes and love the bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone

2005 Lexus LX470

Thanks. Looks like you have a 2005 as well. Is the integration good. Appears from what I've read you can use steering wheel controls for music and bluetooth calls still work well.

Yes better than I expected I was using the tape player before and was afraid I had some bad speakers. Once installing this the sound has been awesome! Steering wheel controls all work and the simple mode that skips the I agree on nav is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone

2005 Lexus LX470

I have a 2005 LX470. I am looking to get MP3 integration. I have read several threads about the VAIS and GROM technology. I have been looking at the VAIS option and am debating between the Bluetooth integration vs the usb/hard drive option. So I am looking to see if anyone has any specific information on the MML connection by VAIS. It appears that the Bluetooth system has been well liked by this forum but I do not see much in the way of the other device. It appears to offer the ability to plug in a usb jump drive, hard drive, or your device via usb and stream music. The main benefit I see with this is that I could put a large portion of my music on a 64 or 128gb jump drive and use if for music. Are there any pitfalls to this method or a reason to preferably purchase the Bluetooth option? Here are their respective websites.
VAIS Bluetooth: Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, USB, XM/Sirius SAT Radio, Video integration)
VAIS USB/Hard drive: Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, USB, XM/Sirius SAT Radio, Video integration)
GROM: 02-12 Toyota Scion Lexus USB Android iPhone car kit, Bluetooth capable

Thanks in advance.

Great looking LX @Tredwards, that color is by far my favorite!

We have the exact same LX year, and I just did this install myself last week. I snagged a BT45-TOY from Ebay for $135 ( link to auction - NEW USA SPEC BT45-TOY TOYOTA LEXUS PLUG & PLAY OEM INTEGRATION BLUETOOTH USB AUX - Click MAKE OFFER and input $130 or $135, it should be accepted). It took maybe 30 minutes total to do the install, and was surprisingly plug and play with *zero* config. Literally unplug the 12 pin cable from the back bottom left of the radio, plug it into the Y cable that comes with the bluetooth unit, plug the Y cable back into the radio, and either coil up the cable and hide the unit somewhere behind the radio, or do like I did and snake the wire over to the glove box and let it live there. The most difficult piece was getting the first few pieces of trim off the dash around the radio with some plastic pry tools I have. After that, smooth sailing.

Hows the audio on this unit? Excellent. I use it for Spotify, Pandora, Waze, etc. I still use the trucks integrated handsfree for calls, although this unit can also do handsfree calling and comes with a mic (which I didn't install). I also did not yet install the USB cable for charging, as Im working on a master plan for putting USB ports in the center console and back seats for the kids.

Whatever way you go, post a follow up to update us on your progress!

Ok so here are some of my pros and cons. I have a kenwood setup in my 80 that uses a jump drive with music to access. Main issue I have noted with it is even with limitation of 2000 files or something it can be a bear to search through to find the CD you want.

Bluetooth system:
- no wires or hook ups needed.
- amount of music limited by phone/device space. Unfortunately current phone is 16gb samsung
- Anyone in vehicle can change music or select while you are driving.
- Ease of using phone to play music - sometimes easier than using car system to search for desired songs
- ability to use other music services that are over phone

MML system:
- uses jump drive or hard drive so tethered by this option. Found on my 80 that i often to forget to bring jump drive inside to update music.
- fairly unlimited quantity of music all based on size of harddrive. So could store all my music on it. over 100gb. Searching not fun with large quantities of music
- Only the driver or passenger can select songs and may be cumbersome to search the music library (at least was on the kenwood in 80)

I see the main benefit of the MML system to be music quantity but the limitations are greater than the benefits when compared to the bluetooth system i believe. I plan to likely purchase a bluetooth system in several weeks. Likely I will get the VAIS system due to the amount of positive reviews on here.

Great looking LX @Tredwards, that color is by far my favorite!

We have the exact same LX year, and I just did this install myself last week. I snagged a BT45-TOY from Ebay for $135 ( link to auction - NEW USA SPEC BT45-TOY TOYOTA LEXUS PLUG & PLAY OEM INTEGRATION BLUETOOTH USB AUX - Click MAKE OFFER and input $130 or $135, it should be accepted). It took maybe 30 minutes total to do the install, and was surprisingly plug and play with *zero* config. Literally unplug the 12 pin cable from the back bottom left of the radio, plug it into the Y cable that comes with the bluetooth unit, plug the Y cable back into the radio, and either coil up the cable and hide the unit somewhere behind the radio, or do like I did and snake the wire over to the glove box and let it live there. The most difficult piece was getting the first few pieces of trim off the dash around the radio with some plastic pry tools I have. After that, smooth sailing.

Hows the audio on this unit? Excellent. I use it for Spotify, Pandora, Waze, etc. I still use the trucks integrated handsfree for calls, although this unit can also do handsfree calling and comes with a mic (which I didn't install). I also did not yet install the USB cable for charging, as Im working on a master plan for putting USB ports in the center console and back seats for the kids.

Whatever way you go, post a follow up to update us on your progress!
So how do you like bt45? So many options I can't decide.

I wast old today by Crutchfield you have to use bt mic and can't use lx integrated bt....

So how do you like bt45? So many options I can't decide.

I wast old today by Crutchfield you have to use bt mic and can't use lx integrated bt....

you can use integrated BT, you just have to select it on your iPhone and you are fine. my BT45-TOY had some weird issues whereby it would switch to MD mode magically even if i was listening to the FM radio. it would also randomly disconnect from my iPhone and not come back for minutes or sometimes hours, even after multiple attempts at forcing it to reconnect. i believe the device itself was faulty. sadly USA SPEC wouldn't RMA the device because of the channel I purchased the unit from... from an authorized retailer of theirs! So I RMA'd the unit to the retailer and they have a brand new in-box BT45-TOY already enroute. in the meantime, i installed a VAIS SL3B-L and its working as expected.

if you want to buy my new replacement BT45-TOY, PM me. ill sell it at cost(130). (great sales material above, eh?)

you can use integrated BT, you just have to select it on your iPhone and you are fine. my BT45-TOY had some weird issues whereby it would switch to MD mode magically even if i was listening to the FM radio. it would also randomly disconnect from my iPhone and not come back for minutes or sometimes hours, even after multiple attempts at forcing it to reconnect. i believe the device itself was faulty. sadly USA SPEC wouldn't RMA the device because of the channel I purchased the unit from... from an authorized retailer of theirs! So I RMA'd the unit to the retailer and they have a brand new in-box BT45-TOY already enroute. in the meantime, i installed a VAIS SL3B-L and its working as expected.

if you want to buy my new replacement BT45-TOY, PM me. ill sell it at cost(130). (great sales material above, eh?)
That's a great price, I would just be worried I might have same issue. So you like Vais unit better? With the Vais unit no can you play through usb with hard drive?

That's a great price, I would just be worried I might have same issue. So you like Vais unit better? With the Vais unit no can you play through usb with hard drive?

no, VAIS is bluetooth only. it has a USB connector but thats only for charging which i don't use. it does get rid of the GPS nag screen after 5 seconds which is moderately interesting but at a $100 premium over the BT45-TOY not sure its worth it. my BT45 started out working fine, then went to hell. had USA SPEC handled the RMA directly, i wouldn't be so salty.

no, VAIS is bluetooth only. it has a USB connector but thats only for charging which i don't use. it does get rid of the GPS nag screen after 5 seconds which is moderately interesting but at a $100 premium over the BT45-TOY not sure its worth it. my BT45 started out working fine, then went to hell. had USA SPEC handled the RMA directly, i wouldn't be so salty.
I gotcha, does it need any other wires? Do you think the guy from eBay you got it from take care of me if I had an issue? I was going to buy that one if I decided to get it...how do you like lx? I ant wait to get mine, little worried about ahc though

I gotcha, does it need any other wires? Do you think the guy from eBay you got it from take care of me if I had an issue? I was going to buy that one if I decided to get it...how do you like lx? I ant wait to get mine, little worried about ahc though

the retailer on eBay was cool. you can order from them for the same price, they sell them all day long for $130.

my LX is awesome. it performed flawlessly in some crazy snow we had, and all around runs great. no complaints, even though i came from a 4cyl car with a turbo. AHC is super smooth, the entire family likes riding in the big rig.

the retailer on eBay was cool. you can order from them for the same price, they sell them all day long for $130.

my LX is awesome. it performed flawlessly in some crazy snow we had, and all around runs great. no complaints, even though i came from a 4cyl car with a turbo. AHC is super smooth, the entire family likes riding in the big rig.
Awesome, there is a Vais unit now the high bid is 99, if I can get it around 130 or so I may go with it since most everyone likes it,if not, I'll try USASPEC....we will see, should be picking my grey 05 lx up at end of week if all checks out

Awesome, there is a Vais unit now the high bid is 99, if I can get it around 130 or so I may go with it since most everyone likes it,if not, I'll try USASPEC....we will see, should be picking my grey 05 lx up at end of week if all checks out

awesome, post pics of the rig when you get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom