Moving to East TN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!!

Fellow MUDer heading to TN from Oregon. I PROMISE my family and I are good people :) 2A supporting, family values, good people. We are leaving the mad house of Portland and OR behind for somewhere better.

Anyone from the Oneida area? We are looking at a house there.

Also, how is Daniel Boone NP for wheeling and camping? How about Big Bend? Any info is appreciated!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Welcome to East TN! I saw an earlier post were you we thinking about west TN; coming from Portland (trees, mountains, etc.) I think you will like East TN better.

We moved from Portland, OR ourselves (Hillsboro specifically). Actually started in Knoxville, then a year in NorCal, then 4 years in Portland. We loved Oregon, still do. Of course east TN has its own charm too.

Unfortunately I cannot comment much on wheeling. Lots of good camping, climbing, and mountain biking. From what I've gathered the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway is pretty good, over 100 mile of trail I believe. Windrock north of Knoxville is popular. As soon as my 80 is road worthy my first planned outing is Nemo Tunnel (#23?) in the Catoosa Wildlife area.

Since 2011 or so Knoxville's brewery scene has really taken off. The vegetarian/vegan dinning has also really grown in just the last few years. Check out Knox Vegan | A Plant-Powered Guide to the Scruffy City.

-Jon

Hi Scott,

Welcome to East TN! I saw an earlier post were you we thinking about west TN; coming from Portland (trees, mountains, etc.) I think you will like East TN better.

We moved from Portland, OR ourselves (Hillsboro specifically). Actually started in Knoxville, then a year in NorCal, then 4 years in Portland. We loved Oregon, still do. Of course east TN has its own charm too.

Unfortunately I cannot comment much on wheeling. Lots of good camping, climbing, and mountain biking. From what I've gathered the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway is pretty good, over 100 mile of trail I believe. Windrock north of Knoxville is popular. As soon as my 80 is road worthy my first planned outing is Nemo Tunnel (#23?) in the Catoosa Wildlife area.

Since 2011 or so Knoxville's brewery scene has really taken off. The vegetarian/vegan dinning has also really grown in just the last few years. Check out Knox Vegan | A Plant-Powered Guide to the Scruffy City.

-Jon

Hey Jon!!

Thanks for the reply! Yeah my wife's family is in Saulsbury, and after much discussion we realized we would not be happy out that way. So we will will be looking at East.

And thanks for the brewery info, that's one thing we will miss....our weekend trips to Bend.

Well we just put in an offer in Oneida! However, the government shutdown will impact this. So we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom