Moving My HDJ81V Back to Canada (Victoria). Winter Tires..? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting the 80 in a container and shipping it. I have some 315's winter tires/wheels I can stuff in the car but they have some years on them...lots of tread just a little stiff. What are the prices of tires back there in Canada these days? Where is a good place to look for tires? I've been away for 25 years so I'm a little out of touch. I'm wondering if I should just leave them here and buy new ones there.

Yes, leave them there. I know some people have tried to import rims with tires and the whole set gets confiscated because there is some issue with importing tires. On a vehicle, it's fine, but for some reason separate is an issue. I don't know the specifics on why it's an issue.

Did some digging for you. Since the tires are used it looks like you CANNOT import them:

See Appendix A "Used on-road All types except truck tires"

Only used tires from the US can be imported into Canada.

Thank you MonsterCruiser I think I actually looked at that page but missed the Appendix A. Definitely a no go on the used tires. So, I'll be on the hunt for some winter tires as I have to go over the Malahat on the island and I heard snow rated tires are mandatory now. I wouldn't imagine Toyo Open Country MT's would qualify.

B
Ice and glazed compact snow is common going over the Malahat in the winter. If that is going to be a regular winter trip, I recommend studded ice radials. I have both Cooper and Nokian studded. The Nokians are my far the best on ice and snow but very expensive. Order them factory studded rather than studded at the tire shop. Factory studded Nokians are quieter, grip better on ice and wet pavement, and wear better. I got over 8 seasons on factory studded Nokians and use to do the majority of my driving for work in the winter. I use to run Blizzacks but never got more than one season on them. Great on snow and ice but wear too quick. Studded Coopers are acceptable but they will slide on wet pavement and they don't gradually break lose on ice and snow. They break lose hard. Studded Nokians just seem to keep drifting a bit more but never suddenly break loose. They saved me from nasty accidents many times. If I was still working and driving the province, I would buy another set of Nokians. But for just around Abbotsford, the Coopers are fine. My wife's Camry has the studded Nokians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom