Mount propane tank sideways on roofrack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pretty sure this is both safe and legal, but wanted to get some confirmation from those that know. I want to mount a 5-6 lb propane tank on its side inside the roofrack on the back driver's side of the vehicle. It will be held by a standard aluminum mounting bracket. The valve would be pointing to the rear. I have a 12' hose to run from the tank to a propane stove. Has anyone else done this and is it safe and legal?

The roofrack is a Camelback Metal Gear one that I have had for many years. The tank would be mounted just above the rear window.

Thanks in advance!

Dale in Spokane

7A868612-CD6D-4502-8D1F-CD9C0CC1C4E0.jpeg

My understanding is no - its not safe to transport or use that way with a standard LP tank. You'll likely have liquid propane interacting with the valve, which could create leaks during transport, and liquid instead of gas feeding your appliance during use. I've seen that there are purposefully designed tanks/valves for horizontal mount.

That said, I drove to the Dollhouse with 20# tank horizontally on my roof and didn't die. But I could of....

thanks for the reply Matt. So, is it legal to transport propane tanks upright inside a moving vehicle? I know, everyone does it, but is it legal?

I've got a Overland Kitchen coming the end of this month from Crazy Al up in Victoria, BC. I'm trying to locate an appropriate location for a propane tank to run my two burner stove. If I can't find one, I will probably revert to a dual fuel Coleman. the pictures are from the back of a Jeep Wrangler. The spacing between the wheel wells in our T4Rs is considerably wider. Al is designing a mount to hold two "LifeSaver" Jerry cans between the frig mount and the drawers/slide out stove mount. Everything is modular so I can switch locations between the frig, the jerry cans, and the drawers. It's heavy, all stainless steel and getting very expensive! And should I ever change vehicles, it can be easily removed and installed in something else. Think I should clarify that cost statement. I just looked at Goose Gear equivilents and this is actually cheaper. And much, much more heavy duty.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 2.53.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Not sure about the legality of it. There are 5 and 10# tanks that might be easier to mount vertically, either on the roof, or your swing out/tire carrier. Or you could look into the tanks designed for a horizontal application. They are a bit pricier, but would otherwise fit your needs.

Matt, I am going to look into horizontally mounted propane tanks. Probably start at RV sites. I thought about a swing out spare tire mount. The Dirtcom model with it's add-ons would really work well. But the price at $2,000+ had me gasping for air.

Thanks for all your insight. I appreciate it.

Dale

41F0892A-004D-4496-804B-4A59EB3C2680.jpeg
Matt, I am going to look into horizontally mounted propane tanks. Probably start at RV sites. I thought about a swing out spare tire mount. The Dirtcom model with it's add-ons would really work well.
What did you end up doing? Before I got my RTT, I used to carry an 11 gal LPG tank vertically on my Front Runner rack. I mounted a 12" x 12" crate on the rack and then secured the tank with a cam strap. A cable and lock was added for safety redundancy and to prevent theft.

I ended up removing the rear seat and having this shelf built to replace it. The frame is 1" tubular steel with a auto grade carpet covering a 5/8" birch plywood top. The steel frame utilizes the original mounting points for the seats. So no cutting or anything was necessary. The top edges of the shelf are held down with air track. The mounting bolts also go through the 1" tubular steel and are used to firmly mounted the top to the frame. I had already mounted one of Al Smith's Overland Kitchens in the rear. I then bolted a Propane tank support to the rear of the kitchen and have installed a 1 gallon propane tank on it. Next to it is a Pelican case which I carry my first aid supplies in. This tank is basically a backup unit. For the propane stove in the kitchen I have a 11 lb tank mounted to the driver's side of my small trailer. When the stove is deployed, it is just a short distance to the tank on the trailer. I also usually carry a large 20 lb propane tank inside the trailer which can be used to support either a portable fire ring or a Mr Heater unit inside either the trailer tent or the Gazelle T-4 I occasionally use instead. Sounds complicated, but it all works great.
IMG_1429.jpeg
IMG_1440.jpeg

74c7aebc-54d5-4ec1-90e4-b9b1b2567033.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom