More ignorant questions on 2h Cylinder bore oversize? Cylinders and ring sizes? Core decking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please excuse my ignorance.
Unknown neglected 2h 6/85 parent bore engine. Looks like it may have been rebuilt before, not a good job.
Cylinder bore measures at 91.24mm at just the top, which suggests it has been bore honed before. They look alright, no pitting or scars, satin smooth. Standard size should be 91mm. Maximum std size is 91.23.

Can the bores be honed a bit more as long as it is under the manual's spec of o/s (meaning oversized?) of 91.73mm?

Surely then, this oversized bore then requires larger pistons?
I believe pistons have increments of .05mm? Larger rings?
When, if ever, does one contemplate using sleeves on a parent bore?

Also,
When a core block is decked, I believe the maximum it can be shaved is .2mm, then is it cactus after that?
Can a deck be packed with a high quality gasket like an mls gasket? To regain lost deck height are thicker gaskets available?

I have pitting at most of the water/coolant pathways. The areas around the cylinder surface and pre combustion does not look too bad. Whilst obviously not ideal, If the pitting is deeper than .2mm, can the pits be filled? Probably needs to be seen after decked I guess.

A friend told me once he trimmed his head without changing the length of the head bolts, it could never seal unless the bolt thread was shortened.

Be nice to know something before going to a machine shop. Trying to learn.
1632103615921.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom