More color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe something for TLCA to consider is a detailed readership survey done by a third party. This would cost some dollars (maybe too much for a non-profit organization), but this could guide sales and editorial content.

The publishing company I work for did this about three years ago. You can find out all kinds of information on how well read your publication is, what's lacking, where your readers shop, if they have to travel to shop, etc. What hobbies they have.

TT is a different animal than a newspaper, however, seems to me some state visitor bureaus with their budgets fat with tourist dollars could be advertising in TT. A lot of us travel long distances to go to events, where we spend money along the way.

Branching out from the automotive aftermarket vendors who advertise, take that a step further and court the outdoor gear industry as well. REI comes to mind, Sierra Trading Post, Cabela's, Coleman, Northface, Mountainsmith, Kavu, Carhartt, Mountain Hardwear, etc.

I appreciate the suggestions, Keith. I did actually contact the Colorado tourism board a couple of years ago. They told me they do market research and determine where their advertising dollars will almost "guarantee" a return, and that's where they spend it. We're not in the picture. I didn't try any others, but I guess I should.

I would dearly love to have a new demographic study done. I am asked for one every once in a while. TLCA did one several years ago now before we landed Toyota as an advertising sponsor. I believe it was done to get them. We're collecting some information now in the online registration process. Hopefully, over time, it will prove to be useful.

I did actually get Cabella's to advertise in one issue a few years ago. It was a mid-year ad. I think they were trying to generate some sign-ups for Christmas catalogs. They haven't been back. I need to re-double my efforts. Especially on the "vertical" opportunities like you mentioned.

I wish the distribution was 10 times what it is. I think the magazine is more than worthy of it.

The publishing industry (specifically newspapers) is running scared these days because it got complacent in some areas and gave up territory to others. Craigslist comes to mind. However, I think the opportunities are still out there. I'd like to see my own company pursue some advertisers like Cabelas or REI a little more often. Our survey showed that just about everyone in North Tahoe goes to Reno to shop for one thing or another, so it behooves us to get more Reno advertisers in our publications. Not so much of that occurs.

It is tougher for the little guys, but like I said, Trails has a dedicated readership that is into outdoor adventure of many types, and we travel. I don't hunt or fish, but I'm into cycling when I'm not wheeling. I camp when I am wheeling. Needed to buy all that stuff from some place. Never known these companies to be allergic to money, and the evidence of Trails' readership being into the outdoors is in practically every feature story.

More power to ya, and of course, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

The TT issues in 2007/2008 are awesome, with plenty of color in my opinion, as compared to earlier versions. It's the best Toyota mag for Cruiser owners in my opinion. Thanks for doing such a great job.

Howdy,

OK well I have been on mud a few years, joined TLCA a couple of years ago... my comments...

I think TT is great magazine. It may very well be a newsletter, but if it was closer to that appearance you might as well cancel it. Honestly lots of TLCA members are only truly magazine subscribers. Myself included.

Luckily with work changes I get to attend an event this spring(Moab).

I think the quality of TT and dedication is great. It is unfortunately on the cusp of a regular mag. It could be a full time magazine offered in stores. With changes noted. Your not a newsletter per say. Cause many people(self included again) buy the membership for the magazine.

So really... if there ever was a time to stretch out an make it bigger... your almost there. It's a very high quality magazine. Calling it a newsletter makes me laugh. Photocopied papers would qualify.

You Sir's have a beautiful mag....plz keep up the great work.

i liked it then, it was when it was typewritten and xeroxed that it sucked...pics didn't turn out...just giant black blobs.
I remember when they were delivered by pterodactyls and were chiseled on slate plaques and all there was were pictographs. That was about the time the righteous mod was the 2.5 cubit stone wheel and Barney Rubble was VP. I tiled my cavern with old issues. .:meh:

timmer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom