Moisture(rain) v LC electronics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the first time in my 96 LC's life (132k miles), a gremlin briefly showed itself. It's been raining BIG time for the past few days and if you know anything about sub-tropical South Florida :flamingo: , the sky opens up and the sound is thunderous. The LC hasn't been driven much and yesterday it sat all day. This morning, it fired up normally and we drove to the Post Office and shut it off. When I got back in, it started fine but all the "idiot" lights stayed lit - all of them as the motor was running. A little unnerving to say the least so I quickly tried to shut it down and maybe get a "recycle" or something. When I turned the key to off, the LC tried starting itself again - by itself - with the key in OFF position! It was turning over as it normally does - trying to start. Finally, I turned the key to start it and everything was normal - we drove home. I have to think it's moisture from all the rain we've had but wondering if anyone can offer "preventative" advice? I have a garage so I could park it in there...otherwise?? :beer: Please note: The LC was in Connecticut for the first 6 years of its life so "weather" is not new to this rig - it's been in South Florida since 2001.

Rich said:
Search starter contacts.

Agreed - either replace those starter contacts, etc ASAP or risk frying both your starter and alternator! Don't make the same mistake I did.

Has the starter, on occasion, just clicked as well without turning over, but will the next time you turn the key? Classic symptoms of a starter going bad.

Brentbba said:
Agreed - either replace those starter contacts, etc ASAP or risk frying both your starter and alternator! Don't make the same mistake I did.

Has the starter, on occasion, just clicked as well without turning over, but will the next time you turn the key? Classic symptoms of a starter going bad.

No, never just "clicked" or any other abnormal operation- always dead on and solid performing. This was definitely the very first occurence of this happening and I'm curious what the huge amount of water/rain we experienced might have played in it. I did the search- thanks - learning as I go. I'm gonna watch it from here - todays' drive down the interstate will take me past 3 major Toyota Dealers - my thought is that a little drying out time may help - if not, punt! Thanks again.

I do not expect that the rain was a factor in the problem.

I used to think rain would be a factor in 80's, based on rocker panels clogging/filling in the old 93 in Los Angeles. Since moving to Queensland, where it's not uncommon to get massive rain day-in / day-out, and then driving through water at the beach etc on a regular basis, the only thing remotely water-related is the washer diverter going out. (Maybe too much hard water in the washer fluid mix?). No gremlins from a regularly soaked 80 down here. :D

My take on this one is that the alternator is going bad. When all the idiots lights are on and the engine is running, that means the alternator is not charging and you are running on battery power.

When you went home from the Post Office, do all the idiots lights still on or are they off? If they are off then, then it will be those starter contacts since the LC is trying to start itself when the ignition switch is in the off position. The contacts are sticking inside the starter causing the truck to start itself. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom