Moisture in fuse box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for you all- I have a 2014 LX570. All has been running perfectly until mid last week when my battery was dead in the am. Charged it through AAA mobile service, and that occured 3 days in a row, charged in the am, stopped and started perfectly and then died through the night. Brought it in to the Lexus dealer and they have told me the battery is fine, but they found moisture/drops of water in the fuse box, located in the front passenger well area. They believe this is the cause for the draw or drain on the battery that occured the last few nights. I don't "off road" it save easy gravel roads and it certainly has not been submerged in water...The dealer wanted to know if they could spend +5 hours to remove all seats and carpet to see if moisture/water drops have seeped down from the fuse box toward other parts of the vehicle and maybe they could provide an answer. Yikes...that sounds mega expensive and seems to be pretty drastic to me without looking at less expensive options first. As an FYI, 2 drops of water ran along the inside of my windshield as I was driving in the rain last week, and since my rubber fitting on top of the windshield (just below the roofline-looks like a black strip between the glass and the roof) looks a little uneven, I wanted to pose the thought of maybe a touch of water is getting in (hence the 2 interior drips) running along the windshield down the right passenger A pillar into the fuse box(?) No ideas but wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything like this or could please give me some friendly input.
Thank you so much.
Jpcoregon

If the rubber strip isn’t even, the installer did a poor job with a windshield replacement. Between that and the drops of water I’m pretty sure you have a windshield leak, and that is running down behind the dash, into the footwell area, and getting into the floor harnesses.

It is very easy to pull the door sill trim at the edge of the carpet and look for water in the well down there. Just pull up on it. If water is down there you might look for rubber plugs that can be pulled to let the water drain. I can’t remember if any are in that area but that type of thing is common in modern vehicles.

Unfortunately you probably need to have the windshield removed and resealed. This should be a priority, on top of your current battery drain issues the water can ruin expensive modules behind the dash like the auto AC and others. Find a reputable installer, and make sure ahead of time they are going to use new OEM rubber trim and clips for the job.

Also if that battery has been drained flat a couple times consider it compromised. Less acid batteries don’t like to go so low, it permanently damages their chemistry. When you get the water issues sorted out I would plan to replace it.

If the rubber strip isn’t even, the installer did a poor job with a windshield replacement. Between that and the drops of water I’m pretty sure you have a windshield leak, and that is running down behind the dash, into the footwell area, and getting into the floor harnesses.

It is very easy to pull the door sill trim at the edge of the carpet and look for water in the well down there. Just pull up on it. If water is down there you might look for rubber plugs that can be pulled to let the water drain. I can’t remember if any are in that area but that type of thing is common in modern vehicles.

Unfortunately you probably need to have the windshield removed and resealed. This should be a priority, on top of your current battery drain issues the water can ruin expensive modules behind the dash like the auto AC and others. Find a reputable installer, and make sure ahead of time they are going to use new OEM rubber trim and clips for the job.

Also if that battery has been drained flat a couple times consider it compromised. Less acid batteries don’t like to go so low, it permanently damages their chemistry. When you get the water issues sorted out I would plan to replace it.
Thank you so much for the input. I’ll take a look and check that out. I also appreciate the info on the battery. That makes sense and will plan to replace it when this electrical issue is sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom