Bug: Mobile Redirects - Explained (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
So, here is what I know...

Ads are a necessary evil to keep the internet running. They suck, but the funds they generate are what keep every site out there open and operational.

MUD offers Supporting Memberships ...Silver Star level for $20/year means ZERO mobile ads and only one header-ad on desktop (which is where our awesome Vendor banners are targeted to). Gold level adds an additional switch to make that header banner disappear entirely (note: sigline Vendor banners are always visible)

So, these stupid redirects USED to target desktop 10 years ago....back when 95% of site traffic was desktop related. NOW, site visits are 50%+ mobile and another 15% tablet, and the rogue redirect banners are targeting those devices.

They are smart. They run ad targeting for a very short time, only minutes, hitting thousands of sites but keeping them hard to detect. The first call might target only iOS, Sprint network, mobile Chrome, a specific geographic region, a 10 minute time span, as well as many others....the next call is iOS, Verizon, Safari, a different geo, and an 8 minute span. Next call changes to Android, Chrome, TMobile, yet another geo, and another time span.

Catching the culprit is like finding a needle in a haystack. I've tried. To make matters FAR worse, the tools needed to pull the backend code require you use a desktop, view the site (using Charles Proxy) as a mobile device, spoof the geo/carrier/browser AND hope you've hit the right combo to get one to appear....THEN decipher the backend code calls, THEN contact the ad networks....all so they can duplicate it on their end to confirm.

Frustrating...and I cannot count the number of hours I've spent trying to solve it or researching options. I have a few adops contacts I communicate with regularly who are chasing the same issues and offering advice...but no one has solved it.

I thought it was related to specific mobile ad sizes, so I changed that setting....multiple times. Thought it would be related to the ad quantity on the page....nope. Am now working with a 3rd party to manage the network calls, and am "hoping" they find a workable solution. SafeFrames seems to be the ticket, but getting those settings balanced is still in process.

My own forum browsing is done at a "guest" level. While I'm an Android/Chrome/Verizon user, that at least means "some" of those rogue calls hit my device as well. Sadly, even with that information, it's challenging to do much.

So, that's what i know.

Yesterday, every time I liked on a post, I was asked if I really wanted to like on that post! It was rather annoying.

Checked again earlier today and same thing. Did it again a little while ago and back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom