Moab tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
my 29'er is about due for a set anyways, so I'd like to get them on prior to Cruise Moab...

From what I'm reading, a wider tire with a more open tread is desirable for the sandy conditions between the rocks, and that sidewalls can easily get pinched...

I'm currently looking these options:

Kenda Nevagal 29x2.2 for $40ea
Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 for $37ea
WTB ExiWolf 29x2.3 for $23ea

Current tires are Bontrager 29x2.2

Leaning towards the ExiWolf for the price...

I have the exiwolf 29X2.3 on my 29er. I also run a stan's tubeless set set up. This is the best configuration I have ever used, over a wide variety of terrain from loose to blue-groove clay to rocky. Depending on your weight, you can run pretty low pressures and not worry about pinch flatting, so long as you have double-walled rims that can take a hit. After three seasons of hard riding, the sidewalls let a little sealant through, but no leaks yet!

if yah riding in needle country I would def look at tubeless with some sort of sealant (stans) for worry free (to a certain degree) riding.....

The Nevagal is a great tire. It hooks up well and wears well. I've never had a tire not work well in Moab. A WTB velociraptor rear has paddle like tread so good in sand. There isn't enough sand on the trails to worry about it anyway :) Unless you're doing laps on poison spider!

Exiwolf are the worst tire I have ever ridden. Very unpredictable, it will let loose whenever wherever. Look elsewhere. It's $23 for a reason.

Maxxis Ardent has been a great tire 2.4, the Bonty's that came on my Rig have been very good in loose sand, and air up sooo easy.

X 2 on the nevagal. Continental mountain kings rock, but are $$.

How can you afford toys for all the sports?! I am currently running a kenda nevegal up front with a small block 8 in the back, I am not overly impressed. My best combos lately have been with a front specific tire like a maxxis product or WTB weirwolf, they have hooked up the best for me. That said, if you are riding mostly slickrock, most of the tires hook up really good, and in sand, for me it doesn't matter, sand always sucks.

My trail bike is running Kenda Excavators front and rear and I like the way they hook up.

Race setup, more center knobs and still good cornering which might be better for riding on rocks is a Maxxis Ardent up front with a Maxxis Crossmark out back. Really nice setup.

Moab needs a slick tire not knobbies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom