MLS Head Gasket with TTY Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am currently rebuilding my 1FZFE and want to use an MLS head gasket. Any issues with using Torque to Yield Head Bolts? Or should I only use ARP studs? Thanks

I talked to Cometic about this when I did my rebuild. They said the TTY bolts were ok, but recommended replacing them. ARP studs are cheaper than OEM head bolts. They said the studs were preferable. I used studs.

I talked to Cometic about this when I did my rebuild. They said the TTY bolts were ok, but recommended replacing them. ARP studs are cheaper than OEM head bolts. They said the studs were preferable. I used studs.
thanks, I have a new set of OEM bolts already, thats the only reason I asked, otherwise I'd definitely go Studs.

Any reason you're not using the OEM head gasket ? It seems to be the preferred choice ....

Preferred choice as in it can't hold up under the shear stresses? MLS gaskets are pretty much the norm in the auto engine industry now due to their superior sealing and longevity properties. They have a definite leg up on the OEM gasket for withstanding the shearing caused by the long aluminum head / iron block interface. You also get to choose your gasket thickness so you can get the head surfaced and then make up for the metal that was removed during machining on both the block and the head and get back to OEM specifications. The downside is you really have to have the block surfaced for proper surface prep to go MLS, if you are doing in-truck head gasket replacement, it isn't an option.

As per the above, the MLS seems to be the stronger of the two (if prepped perfectly as mentioned above). I plan to add a turbo or supercharger sometime down the track, and would like start setting it up to take the extra power, hence the MLS Head Gasket.

I agree with what's been said. Ideal world, engine and head out of the truck surfaced for an MLS gasket than proper studs are best but TTY are okay.

Without improper MLS prep, stock gasket and stock TTY bolts.

As an aside my OEM gasket and stock TTY bolts have seen 18-19psi and survived. not ideal but it has happened.

I agree with what's been said. Ideal world, engine and head out of the truck surfaced for an MLS gasket than proper studs are best but TTY are okay.

As an aside my OEM gasket and stock TTY bolts have seen 18-19psi and survived. not ideal but it has happened.

Thanks for the response, yeah I'm leaning toward OEM gasket with the bolts I already have. I would be looking at only 8-10psi with a turbo later on (mostly 4x4, not much point having huge boost) so I imagine the gasket and bolts would cope fine. I may pull it apart once its time for a turbo and do the studs and MLS gasket then, along with all the prep work on the block and head.

What are your thoughts on the oem gaskets and studs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom