Minimum shop ceiling height for a drive-under lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you're going to dream you might as well dream big! Two questions to follow...

I'm designing a shop addition and considering a storage lift that you can then park another vehicle underneath (for storage). Ideally, I would use this as a service lift as well. Shade tree mechanic use.

1) Is this a bad idea? Please explain why.

2) How tall should the ceiling be? I'd plan for two 6ft tall vehicles stacked. Is 13ft of height enough or do I need to plan for more?

Thanks in advance!

10.5 ft minimum for 2-post service lift. No idea for storage - depends on vehicles and lift design.

Stacking vehicles that tall is a special case. Normally I'd say a 12 foot ceiling is ideal for a shop with any sort of lift (and probably necessary to comfortably work under a truck or SUV). Can get away with a 10ish foot ceiling if working on sportscars or other low stuff.

For your question, probably want to email some lift manufacturers and figure out what models go high enough to clear the vehicle you want under it, their ramp thickness, and some clearance (including any lights you'll have hanging down from the wall and the garage door on high rails). My guess is you'll arrive at vehicle 1 height + 6 inches clearance over + vehicle 2 height + 6 inches clearance over + ramp height + distance from the ceiling to the rollup door/any lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom