Metal Shaving on Front Diff Drain Plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I am preparing to drive my 80 from Texas to California in a couple of weeks, and I figured it was a good time to change the diff fluid and check my drain plugs.

Well, on the drain plug for the front diff I find this metal shaving:
C85FC2BB-4FA0-4C0A-8A28-7416079E1B2F.jpeg
03C05719-847C-4812-8D04-D8E37902FF22.jpeg
3DAC6A42-3F1F-4A5C-90CB-85A96A61F580.png

There was only one. I ran a fiber optic camera into my diff and there’s no more metal shavings or signs of obvious damage. The rig has 142,000 miles on it, and I’ve had it since 119,000 and changed the diff oil every 5-10k miles with the correct viscosity oil. A couple of times I have noticed smaller shavings but nothing close to this size. Very little metallic fuzz on the plug.

I can’t tell if this looks like a piece of a roller bearing or a chip off a ring gear. There’s no gear howling or anything like that going on. It drives smooth and I’d never know anything was going on If I hadn’t pulled the plug.

Is this a sign of a major imminent failure that should change my plans to drive this thing cross country?

Help is much appreciated!!

Last edited:
Forget about it....

All,

I am preparing to drive my 80 from Texas to California in a couple of weeks, and I figured it was a good time to change the diff fluid and check my drain plugs.

Well, on the drain plug for the front diff I find this metal shaving:
View attachment 2344532View attachment 2344533View attachment 2344534

There was only one. I ran a fiber optic camera into my diff and there’s no more metal shavings or signs of obvious damage. The rig has 142,000 miles on it, and I’ve had it since 119,000 and changed the diff oil every 5-10k miles with the correct viscosity oil. A couple of times I have noticed smaller shavings but nothing close to this size. Very little metallic fuzz on the plug.

I can’t tell if this looks like a piece of a roller bearing or a chip off a ring gear. There’s no gear howling or anything like that going on. It drives smooth and I’d never know anything was going on If I hadn’t pulled the plug.

Is this a sign of a major imminent failure that should change my plans to drive this thing cross country?

Help is much appreciated!!
There could be one roller in there that's delaminating, but only one and nothing else, keep changing the oil like you are and monitor the debris. Otherwise wait for it to start growling before you get wound up.

But I guess my question is in the short term should I avoid taking this thing 1,700 miles form home?

But I guess my question is in the short term should I avoid taking this thing 1,700 miles form home?
I would drive it.

I took a Studebaker on a 2600 mile round trip on a rear differential bearing I knew the rollers were delaminating and I just swapped the race. I drove it another 6000 miles before I changed it, but it did not grenade or lock up or overheat.

Worst case on a long trip since it's a front differential, if it locks up, you can remove the front DS, remove the front drive flanges (or pull apart and remove the axles) and drive it.

Changing diff oil every 5-10k ? ? Probably a bit excessive. Betcha 50-60k would be more like it. See what the FSM has to say . . .

Changing diff oil every 5-10k ? ? Probably a bit excessive. Betcha 50-60k would be more like it. See what the FSM has to say . . .

It was partially to flush out the axle tube from excessive grease migration. Pretty sure I performed the first front axle seal replacement/ birf rebuild at 120,000 miles and 25 years. Probably Why I’m having the issues I am at the moment.

I would drive it.

I took a Studebaker on a 2600 mile round trip on a rear differential bearing I knew the rollers were delaminating and I just swapped the race. I drove it another 6000 miles before I changed it, but it did not grenade or lock up or overheat.

Worst case on a long trip since it's a front differential, if it locks up, you can remove the front DS, remove the front drive flanges (or pull apart and remove the axles) and drive it.

Will removing the drive flanges affect drive ability at highway speeds?

Will removing the drive flanges affect drive ability at highway speeds?
No because the bearings ride on the spindles. It will drive "normally" as far as steering. You must also lock the CDL and remove the front DS for this to work.

HOWEVER, it also allows the grease to run out and all dirt to run in because you have exposed bearings. Duct taping the living hell out of the hub and making a "pocket" for the axle shaft and spindle housing to ride in will keep it all together.

I'm not talking long-term solutions here, only emergency.

If you wanted to make it "longer term 2WD" you could get a set of worn-out drive flanges and carry them with you. Grind out ALL the splines inside so there is NOTHING to catch the axle shaft and carry those with you in the event this occurs. Then you swap out the drive flanges, drop the DS, lock the CDL, and on your way in 2WD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom