Mercedes adapter and torque curve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I have read about this before but I can’t find the thread now. Anyone know the current state of a Mercedes adapter? I read somewhere that someone was going to develop one this summer. Sorry for posting on a recurring subject but didn’t know the current state. I want to run Plant Drive’s single-tank Waste Vegetable Oil kit on one. I’m also in Kalifornia, so only certain engines are available to me (for a 1984 fj60).

Thought I would post a torque curve for the 3.0L 5-cyclinder engine just so I am not completely annoying. (Or has this been posted too?)

om617a.jpg

om617 – na
om617a – turbo
KWatts = 1.341 horsepower
N-m = .738 ft-lbs

Peak for turbo is ~120hp and ~185ft-lbs.

:beer: Chad

Had the same question so I called 4x4Labs earlier today. They told me that one is still in the works, but they haven't finished it yet. I was told that after they get it right it will go into one of their vihicles for some time to get some R&D. After that it would be introduced to the public.

I defenately got the vibe that its still a ways out, at least not this year. If you go to the web site you can email 4x4Labs and let them know you want to be on an update list, and they'll send you a messages as they progress. I wish there was one available soon, but doesn't seem likely.

Polarweasel is the guy on here working on one.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=55814&highlight=mercedes

I think it would have to be a turbo model. As the NA model barely moves my 300D(1977).

Also you really need to research the gearing. As in the 300D is has small wheels and also high gears( to rev high) It gets its power rev'ing.

So if you want to run 33 inch tires in your 60 series, you need to find out what rear end gearing is going to get it in the right range.

Do the ratio math. Otherwise this thing is barely going to move a 60 series.

It barely moves my Mercedes off the line. The 3B has waay more low end grunt. But the Mercedes is faster on the highway. As the engine is rev'ing along happily..I have no idea what RPM, as my model doesn't have a tach.. But I have never bothered pushing it over 120 km per hour. Most of the time it is happy at 100 kph

BB - You should try the 4 cyl. engine in my 240D. My BJ42 leaves it in the dust.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, we should all rememer that the Merc diesels are freeway cruising engines and you can see it in the pic--they make their peak torque at close to 2500 rpms and peak power over 4000. While these engines are great for their reliability and availability, I still don't think they are the best fit for a truck.

That being said I can't wait for somebody to do this swap and prove me wrong because I do think it's a cool option.

B

I've read a lot about the Mercedes Gs and those owners like the diesel. There are some performance modifications that can be done to the NA to make it reach the turbo's performance. Affected by altitude still. There are a fair amount of people running 35s on diesel Gs but I don't know how the 60s gearing compares. Thanks for the thread.

Gearing

The ideal diff gears for the Mercedes G running 35s is 6.17. The Getrag 5-speed has a 1st gear of 3.822. I think the t-case gearing is similar but I can't remember exactly. With the h55 1st gear at 4.84, then you would need diff gears at 4.87 to have analogous performance. A G is only about 150 lbs heavier than a 60. I want to run 33s, so anyways, the gearing is different. What is the torque curve on a 2F? Is the low end torque similar to the turbo mercedes?

BB - You should try the 4 cyl. engine in my 240D. My BJ42 leaves it in the dust.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, we should all rememer that the Merc diesels are freeway cruising engines and you can see it in the pic--they make their peak torque at close to 2500 rpms and peak power over 4000. While these engines are great for their reliability and availability, I still don't think they are the best fit for a truck.

That being said I can't wait for somebody to do this swap and prove me wrong because I do think it's a cool option.

B

I agree with them being freeway engines. Mine seems happy foot to the floor and racing down the highway. But I am conservative in my power use.... LOL

A 2F has a way different torque curve. It makes max torque at 1800 rpm...

I think the OM diesels are a good idea. The key will be in the gearing. Just like the Land Rover guys with the small TDis and the mini truck guys with their small(ish) 22Rs.

I found peak horsepower and torque for the different toyota engines in the SOR catalogue.

2F = 210 ft.lbs. @ 1800 rpm
3B = 166 ft.lbs. @ 2200 rpm
2H = 177 ft.lbs. @ 2000 rpm
1HZ = 206 ft. lbs. @ 2200 rpm

om617a = ~185 lbs. @ ~2300 rpm

I guess what is surprising is that the 2F has more torque at lower rpm than the diesels.

I was going to say that the mercedes has more torque than the toyota diesels but I just realized that I am probably comparing NA diesels to the mercedes turbo. The NA mercedes is ~125 ft. lbs. Which makes sense because the mercedes is only a 3 liter.

Peak numbers are cool to play with but at the end of it, the powerband is what makes the engine "feel" the way it does.

I would still love it if someone hooked up that Benz engine to a Cruiser. There's a guy who put an NA 4 cyl Benz in his 88" Rover... clean swap. can't find the link.

The link is in the last page on the other Mercedes thread. Seriestek or something like that.

Thanks BB... yeah I think I read that his next plan is to hook up an OM617 to an H55 to put in his 109. Don't know anything else.

I've been doing some work in a 1987 G-Wagen lately (GD300), and all I can say about the power of the 5 cylinder diesel is that it's very poor (valves adjusted, timing set, filters replaced). The thing can barely get going and has poor acceleration. The motor has some decent grunt off idle, and revs over 4000, but it's got no balls. A 3B in poor tune will eat it for lunch any day of the week.

As for the G, there are a few good things about it - it spends a lot of time in my shop racking up big repair bills (expensive parts - wheel cylinder ~$140, inner axle seal ~$40 [can be sourced for $3 aftermarket]) for the most mundane stuff. The engineering in certain parts of it is pretty sub-standard (front wheel bearings, for example). The space and size is nice, but other than that it's a piece of doo-doo.

I can compare it side by side with my 1987 HJ61.... and I'd take the Cruiser any day over the G. In fact, if the owner was to offer to give the G to me, I'd politely decline.

~John

Well, you do own the BEST land cruiser ever built! lol...

So how is the G like in low range? Still not enough power?

They're fine. People have litterally gone around the world in 300GDs without any issues. Each type of vehicle has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. The 60 is not without its own obvious design flaws. Bad maintenance will also destroy any good design. Not to give the wrong impression, I do love my 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom