Membership Attrition Strategies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking over these posts, I'm convinced we all have the same vision. Like any good community, the only way it works is if everybody contributes. IMHO, TLCA is a very large group of folks that want to read about Toyota 4WD vehicles. We are lucky to have a few hundred dedicated wheelers, trekkers, and rebuilders across the country giving Toyota Trails lots to write about. ;)

I agree that we must encourage folks with any Toyota 4WD to join us. I want to encourage all our members to get out and play with your trucks as often as possible. Any weekend is a great time to wheel or drive around town and count the heads turning as you go by. I have passed out web site cards, flyers and even old issues of Trails to cruiser owners I meet or see. Anybody can do this and TLCA reaps the reward as folks check our website or turn up for a local meeting.

Don't get discouraged. Keep waving at other Toyota 4WD vehicles on the road and take the time to say "howdy" if you meet one in the parking lot. Everybody I've met that drives a Toyota 4WD is proud of their ride. Meeting one of us in a 20+ year old working cruiser brings a smile to their faces. Our club validates their pride in their ride. Now, let's invite them all to join our cult. ;)

Happy Trails! N

pismojim said:
I suggest more events.

All types, all around the country, all around the year. Big ones, little ones, hard core, easy, social, whatever. Get people together and get them involved.

Events are face to face meetings with cruiserheads. It's fun and relationships are built. It's real. The online forums, email lists, snazzy websites will never be enough to hold or build the membership.

Renewing by mail, online, multi-year are not as effective as a face to face passing of the cash. How about a renewal booth at every event? A capabilty to accept checks, credit cards or cash, on the spot? Heck, I've given TRT2 money just so he'd leave me alone. :D

I believe the chapters with their events, meetings and activities keep the association going. I don't have the data, but I suspect there is more attrition with individual members than club members. Encourage more clubs and more club events.

One of my objectives with Surf N Turf is building TLCA membeship. The way I see it being non-sanctioned with no registration means anybody can come. You don't need your TLCA membership current either. That means it's a perfect recruiting ground for new and lapsing members. I made copies of membership applications, put them on a board and people picked up about a dozen. Who knows if they joined, but I bet they would have gave money on the spot if someone was there to collect it. Plus, it would be easy to collect money from renewing members too. Especially, with a small perk or some incentive.

Hope that helps, I really want to see membership pass that 4,000 level.
I think Jim has a great idea. Maybe we can encourage each chapter to have 1 TLCA sanctioned event a year and then get it advertised in TT so local people can get in on it who migh not be members of that club but who are TLCA members.

2 years ago a few of us went up to Tellico for MLK weekend. The next year we put it out on Mud and got 45 people to come. This was about as unorginised as it gets and we still had a great time and had people from 4 clubs attend.

I 'stumbled' across my renewal form in the TT issue sitting in my room.

Somebody mentioned it being "easy"..........hate to say it, but I feel like the TLCA is missing out on a lot of the online stuff. In my opinion [marketing especially] getting this section alone on Mud was a GREAT step.

It's not about PRICE. What's $20, $30? When we spend thousands on our cruisers? The gym business is very similar to the TLCA when it comes to retention. Think about this: At my gym members have 24 hour access and can come and go when they please with an access card. I have to inactivate their card to even get them to call or stop by for renewing.

That's IT!!!......put TLCA controlled chips in everyone's Cruiser and shut them off if they expire!!!

JK. Call Lists are a must guys. Well worth the time. Email Lists are GREAT. Online limited access for members only is BRILLIANT. Don't offer it for "Tech" information. Do online access to write-ups on the TOP events the TLCA puts on, full with PICS and feedback. People will renew to keep up with the Jones' especially if they're pictures involved, etc........

Time will tell. I should renew mine, but I HATE writing checks....

So I just re-read this thread and it dawned on me that I never mentioned what WC did to make it simpler for our members to renew. I realize this would be very difficult on a large scale and perhaps unfeasable. But our membership renews every year at our Christmas Party. If a new member joins mid-year we pro-rate their dues. All very informal but from then on they pay in December as well. We collect all dues then and most members renew TLCA dues as well with the Chapter in Good Standing process.

If all TLCA members renewed at the same time Jacki might up and quit and take us all out with her but reminders and renewals would be much easier to handle. Email blasts, message boards, snail mail reminders could all show up for everyone. Word of mouth and peer pressure will also communicate the timing. Within a year or 2 it would become habit just as it has for all WC members. Bring your checkbook or cash (or paypal) to the December activity and renew TLCA and WC. I'm sure logistics would prevent this from being feasible but might be worth discussing.
dmc

I really like the idea of trying to get vendors to send out membership apps. IMHO it would be money well spent if TLCA would print and send them to vendors, to give to customers, I know I would keep some on hand, several of my customers are referals from CCOT since they do not do conversions or work on them they refer to me, and 3 of these never heard of TLCA, I sent them out with some freebie TT issues......
How about a discounted one year membership thru vendors, folks like me and DD could find out if big ticket customers are TT members, if not figure $20 into the deal and buy them a membership?
Butch

I do that now with customers and it has worked out real well. They seem to like it a lot. I also get extra copies of TT to give out to the cheap tards that dont make the free membership cut :)

http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/tlca.html

DMC;
At the TLCA BOD meeting this week we voted up funds to facilitate email reminders that your membership is about to lapse...hopefully this will help.

Texican;
We're already working on this as well for our associate business members. Really cool TLCA/Cruiser Poster with a tray to hold membership apps for counter display.

DD113:
Thanks! I appreciate your continued support!

chef

At BBRC, you must also be a member of VA 4x4. So, you pay the dues together. It's relatively cheap, but the club treasurer collects it all then mails in one check to VA 4x4 with all of the app fees. If you had it on an annual basis, this would work beautifully.

There are a couple of chapters that do their dues like this. If you can get past the administrative stuff, it seems to work well. It's an idea other chapters might benefit from, thanks!

I had issues trying to re-new last year, treid 2+ times online with horid results.......so I finaly gave up............and said screw it.

last thing I need is grief(ie being WAY overcharged) when trying to renew......

John

Landpimp said:
last thing I need is grief(ie being WAY overcharged) when trying to renew......

John

Good Grief Charlie Brown, print the app and send a check...... :confused:

Hey Pimp;
We did have some issues when the e-0store first opened, and you were one of our early unsuccessfull users. These issues have been resolved, and I'm not getting complaints at all now, compared to the "many per day" when we first opened it. Sorry for yourbad experience at our early e-store....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom