Master Cylinder Leaking again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fj40bugcatcher.dyndns.org
Hey everyone,

I have yet again had another brake master cylinder start leaking from the seal on the inside of the of the cab. This is the 3rd on that has done this. And Yes, I have bench bled all of them. My rig is sitting right now awaiting me to finish up the paint & body work so it's not driven at all. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep this from leaking? It seems to be ok for the first month or so, but after that it slowly starts to leak, i'm guessing from the heat and sitting. I would like to have a sprayed in bedliner done soon, but with this leak i'm affriad that it will cause problems with the bedliner.

Any ideas?

Robert

Are those new master cylinders that are leaking or rebuilds / rebuilts? I don't need to tell you, it shouldn't be happening. And yes, the brake fluid will even loosen up bed liner material.

I believe that master is available new from Toyota still......given your track record I wouldn't mess around with aftermarket ones.

Assuming your 62 is a stocker, go dual circuit and don't look back. Leave single circuit brakes for the museum. Where's that soapbox icon?

Yep, if you don't have a need to keep it original, there's huge range of options available to improve your lifespan! :D

Given the work involved on going to a dual circuit, I may go with a new one from Toyota, but just in case I end up going in that direction does anyone know if I upgrade to a dual circuit, are all the parts easily available? Seeing that I would probably end up changing all the wheel cylinders and brake lines right? I know on my rif it has the oddball size fittings so finding lines that will fit that are next ti impossible. What are my options on parts?

THanks

Robert

I know at least one of them was new. I had a conversation with Marv Spector of SOR and he commented that he has seen that many times with the single circuit master cylinder. He has even talked to Toyota Techs that have mentioned this is an existing problem on all single circuit systems. I guess just the design of the beast isn't what it shuld be.

Robert

Robert on the dual circuit not sure which master cylinder you use but with the brake lines all I would think you have to do is run dual lines over to the frame on the passenger's side where it splits the single circiut now, then find a block from a later one that was set up for dual circuit and make your adapters there. The only dual circuit master cylinders that I know of for the cruiser had a booster on them. Someone on ebay is always selling an adapter that fits so you don't have to cut the brace on the cowl. 71 thru 75 had the dual circuit with drum brakes all around, so with this set up you shouldn't have to change anything in the wheel cylinders. If you chage to disc brakes in the front the 76 thru 80 had the dual wheel cylinders in the back, but the booster on those was huge might have a hard time fitting in without cutting the brace on the cowl. I live in Phoenix and would be glad to come over and help you figure out how to set it up. Me I'm still old school with single circuit master cylinders on most of my cruisers. But then again I'm "Living in the Past".

John

John,

I may one day do a disc concersion, but that is down the road. With all th problems I have had I am now considering buying the aftermarket dual circuit that SOR has (http://www.sor.com/sor/cat014.tam?xax=20334&page.ctx=cat014.tam)

What do you think about going to something like that with your idea of just running two lines up from the cloest point?

I could use a second pair of eyes and another opinion, maybe I could get you to stop by one of these days and check it out?

Robert
rwfnetworking@cox.net

Living in the Past said:
Robert on the dual circuit not sure which master cylinder you use but with the brake lines all I would think you have to do is run dual lines over to the frame on the passenger's side where it splits the single circiut now, then find a block from a later one that was set up for dual circuit and make your adapters there. The only dual circuit master cylinders that I know of for the cruiser had a booster on them. Someone on ebay is always selling an adapter that fits so you don't have to cut the brace on the cowl. 71 thru 75 had the dual circuit with drum brakes all around, so with this set up you shouldn't have to change anything in the wheel cylinders. If you chage to disc brakes in the front the 76 thru 80 had the dual wheel cylinders in the back, but the booster on those was huge might have a hard time fitting in without cutting the brace on the cowl. I live in Phoenix and would be glad to come over and help you figure out how to set it up. Me I'm still old school with single circuit master cylinders on most of my cruisers. But then again I'm "Living in the Past".

John

Everything is available new. Fab up new brake lines, install later master cylinder (and booster if you want) and wheel cyls. I would go birfields and mini discs at the same time (with v6 mini master and fj60 vented rotors), but that would require some modifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom