Marquette Welder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
130amp, portable, made in the USA. Anybody heard of them? Will weld up to 1/4 inch steel with wire fed flux core. Seems handy if it is worth a s***.

You'd better use some gas if you're welding 1/4" Have a cheap 220 HF that works like a champ with a bottle of argon and was about $175 out the door, by far the best mig for the buck unless you're making your living welding.

You'd better use some gas if you're welding 1/4" Have a cheap 220 HF that works like a champ with a bottle of argon and was about $175 out the door, by far the best mig for the buck unless you're making your living welding.

I'm assuming he's looking at it because it's portable.

You can weld 1/4" just fine with flux, just slow and not a very clean weld. Run a pass, chip off all the crap, run another pass...etc...

If you want something portable, why not look into battery welding? Cheap, uses arc rods so tons of choices, and if you wanted to get a bit fancy could even make it all adjustable.

Yep, I have a Millermatic 250 and a Clarke 130amp 110 welder that is portable as long as you have 30A 110v available. This looked like a deal on a decent truly portable welder. And as to the battery welders, most require at least 2 12v batteries, preferably 3. I am talking Redi-welder.

You can weld 1/4" just fine with flux, just slow and not a very clean weld. Run a pass, chip off all the ****, run another pass...etc...

I carry a 20 bottle if I need portability, for me gas makes all the diff in a single pass that looks as good as it is strong and so much easier to puddle and stitch it along, but maybe thats just me. #20 bottle will get you a couple hours of straight welding and for my welder's duty cycle thats about a days worth!

Wirebrushing the slag off and making several passes isn't in my "love to do's" when it comes to welding but that would pass the time between duty cycles if you were bored!

I carry a 20 bottle if I need portability, for me gas makes all the diff in a single pass that looks as good as it is strong and so much easier to puddle and stitch it along, but maybe thats just me. #20 bottle will get you a couple hours of straight welding and for my welder's duty cycle thats about a days worth!

Wirebrushing the slag off and making several passes isn't in my "love to do's" when it comes to welding but that would pass the time between duty cycles if you were bored!

All very true!

Personally, I'd rather use arc than flux anyway. Cleaner weld, and you're either gonna make it hold or put holes in it (at least the way I weld! :lol: ). I'm not a huge flux fan.

If I was going to weld anything over a 1/4 regularly I'd use an old 220 Lincoln tomb stone stick, loved those welders!

I will admit that the torch handle itself is cheesy on either HF mig, and you don't get much more than 6 feet, if that, from the box to the torch tip. That said there are some great mods for both the 110v and 220v posted over at weldingweb. Right now the 110v is now on sale for $119, use a 20% off on top and you're almost out the door for a benjamin Spend another $50 for the mods and you have a pretty reliable mig that has an option for gas, that's really hard to beat.

Or the 220v is on sale for $189 20% off coupon its $151.20 + tax, spend another $50-75 on mods and you've got a decent mig that's not breaking the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom