Manual switch added to reverse lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered an ACC Becky. It mostly covers up the reverse lights. I have seen some people hang new ones from the under side of the spoiler. One I saw where they came on just like normal reverse lights, but he also had a manual switch to be able to turn them on like camp lights when not actually in reverse.

Conceptually I understand this: get a switch to tie into the wire carrying power to the reverse lights. Put a diode between the original connection and this one so when the manual activation occurs it only goes down to the lights and doesn’t mess with anything else like the transmission gear indicator.

What I can’t seem to find is where you actually tap into this reverse light power line. Anyone know?

The wire harness for the hatch runs behind the passenger side rear interior trim panel, pop that off and tap into the reverse light wire for the signal.

The wire harness for the hatch runs behind the passenger side rear interior trim panel, pop that off and tap into the reverse light wire for the signal.
Do you have a photo or diagram? How do you know which one is for the reverse lights?

Do you have a photo or diagram? How do you know which one is for the reverse lights?

No.

Honestly if you're planning to tap into the factory harness you need to do some thorough research because there's always the potential to mess things up. Wire colors aren't consistent year to year, and every vehicle is a little different. Find the FSM and EWD for the GX and probably pay for a TIS subscription to confirm your exact manufacturing date's wire colors. Fire up the Google and spend some time on it.

Another option would be to tap from the reverse light bulb holders in the hatch and wire back to the new LEDs. Less knowledge required, more work. But you'll know where the wires are. The way Toyota bundles/junctions their wire harnesses you can't tell what wire is what, at any given point, without an accurate EWD. And even then it's not easy.

The gear Indicator should not be affected as the light got a relay. It's aftermarket backup camera that usually mess up because they are commonly powered by backup light.

Attachments

• Back-Up Light(1).pdf
    99 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom