Maintainence Schedule for 120,000 miles + (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure someone out there has made a spread sheet or a table to be a maintenance log for when the 80 gets over 120,000 miles and the factory Maintenance Schedule stops. Also I know there is a bunch of stuff (like Birf services and axle seals) that are not on the factory schedule. Anyone have a proposed schedule to share?

Um - start over. I've still followed the basic 7500,15000,30000 schedule sort of. Only deviation is that I change the oil at 5000,10000 and take it in for 15000 and 30000.

Brentbba said:
Um - start over. I've still followed the basic 7500,15000,30000 schedule sort of. Only deviation is that I change the oil at 5000,10000 and take it in for 15000 and 30000.

But the factory Schedule is severly lacking, no? No aele seals and bearing replacement, no transmission flushes etc., etc. Has no one generated a better one?

Hey...

If you do a search under "maintenance" I think you will find some good posts discussing both seasonal and vehicle-specific maintenance operations.

Here is one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=19110

Here's another one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=5645

(the post by Rick B. (landtank) is a really useful one. You could easily create a spreadsheet using that list.

I am following that one with some additions:

Starter contacts every 50-70K
I've brought the oil change intervals down a bit (I use dino) to 3-4K
I've added underbody oiling twice a month during the winter months.
I've added changing of suspension bushings every 100-120K (these things take time you know :D )
I've incraesed the PHH time to 100K along with most of the rubber hoses in the rig--mainly the heating and cooling ones.
I've decreased the diff/xfer case oil change way down to about 10K
I've decreased the tranny fluid exchange down to every 5-6K
Wheel bearing repack has been decreased down to 30-35K
I've added greasing driveshafts to this list at every oil change

Hope this helps.
-onur
Akron, OH

Interesting,
No mention of brakes.
Change fluid annually, pads as needed

Yota considers lots of things wear items - replace as necessary - in other words when it breaks. Pads are a wear item. Expect anywear from 12-20K on a set of pads. Axle service is a fix it if it breaks item per Yota. 30K maintenance at my dealer includes the auto trans fluid and diff fluids.

Automatic Transmission Fluid
Ball Joints and Dust Covers
Brake Lines and Hoses
Brake Linings/ Brake Pads/Discs
Charcoal Canister (CA, MA and NY Vehicles)
Differential Oil
Drive Belts
Drive Shaft Boots
Engine Air Filter
Engine Coolant
Engine Oil and Filter
Engine Valve Clearance
Exhaust Pipes and Mountings
Fuel Lines and Connections, Fuel Tank Band and Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
Nuts and Bolts on Chassis and body
Propeller Shaft
Radiator Core and Condenser
Spark Plugs
Steering Gear Box
Steering Knuckle Grease
Steering Linkage and Boots
Tire Rotation
Transfer Case Oil
Wheel Bearing and Driveshaft Bushing Grease

Thanks guys this is more like it. Keep the item list going and I will combine ALL into a concise service schedule and post it here for us all.

MH_Stevens said:
Thanks guys this is more like it. Keep the item list going and I will combine ALL into a concise service schedule and post it here for us all.

I posted a similar question way back when I first was poking around this site, and what I came to find out was that due to the large variation in anal-assity amongst the group, there were a bunch of differing opinions on what folks considered routine maintenance and no consensus on a maintenance schedule beyond 90K.

It would be great if someone could develop something in some sort of spread sheet format though. At least there would be a list of all the things that need to be done, and the individual could decide at what mileage.

:beer:
Rookie2

Rokie2

You say "It doesn't matter how rich you are, a man can only drink 32 beers a day." I had a friend at school and when we were 16 he decided to drink on his every birthday, his number of years in glasses of Guinness, each of which was to be a UK pint, that's 20 fl oz. Believe it or not he did this until he was 32!!! On the original 16th birthday I only made 6 and that's a lot of Guinness, equivalent to 10 us 12oz cans, for me.

So, is this maintenance spreadsheet going to happen? It would be cool to have around as a guideline for those of us that need one. I have notes here and there, but not a good list.

Since there are different opinions, there could be a range (20k to 30k) in miles for each maintenance item. For example,

Oil change synthetic, change every 5k to 10k
Oil change dino, change every 3k to 5k
Radiator flush, flush once a year
Front brake pads stock, 15k to 20k
Front brake pads 100-series, 20k to 30k?

I replaced my front rotors (new OEM) and put 100-series brake pads. I wonder what's the expected life in miles of these pads (20k to 30k)?

Anyway, if the spreadsheet happens, I would like a copy...

beno said:
I've decreased the diff/xfer case oil change way down to about 10K
I've decreased the tranny fluid exchange down to every 5-6K
Wheel bearing repack has been decreased down to 30-35K

Seriously? I've opened up diff's and manual transmissions/xfer with 250K miles and the original oil still looks great. I'd say the only time you need to change gear oil is after you get water in there after submerging the axles/t-case without working elevated breathers. If the oil looks like chocolate milk, it's time to change it.

ATF every 15K if you tow hard, 30K if you don't.

I'd go 100K between wheel bearing repacks, unless water gets in.

(I have two 4Runners with over 250K miles each.)

I could email my excel spreadsheet to anyone who wants a look. Nothing special, but it works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom