Builds Mail Order Ride - My HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This came out of the intake manifold and cross over pipe adder a couple minutes of screwdriver pokery.

full

Seriously wtf?

I removed the intake heater from the crossover and got investigating. The heater and main inlet are black, but not caked on like that. That black is I'm sure from the old stock routing of any blowby into the intake. This crap all came from the two egr ports. Look inside at the chunk that i can't quite dislodge with a screwdriver. That's right where the egr tubes join the main one.

full

Tomorrow I will be picking up... something... that will clean that up better. Handful of pipe cleaners in a drill, or flexible wire brush in a dremel or toilet brush or something to scrub them clean. Then, blast them out with a pressure washer.

The intake ports on the head though, they are gross too. Is there any good way to clean these without removing the head? Knock it loose and vacuum them out? Some leftover crap will just get passed through or burned out anyway?

full

I read a bunch about people saying how dirty these get, but I really can't believe someone thought this was a good system. Or, is this just a really bad example?

I read a bunch about people saying how dirty these get, but I really can't believe someone thought this was a good system. Or, is this just a really bad example?

Nah, it's a good example of a really bad system! :eek:

Spray a bit of diesel in the manifold etc and let soak before pressure washing. Diesel will dissolve most of it.
I think scraping and vacuuming is all you can do with the head.

Have you blanked off the EGR system?

Wow!!! That is unbelievable.. just be careful so you don't knock anything down in the cylinder for the ones that have valves open.

Maybe wait on putting the injectors back in until your done.

Yikes... I wonder what my rig looks like. This makes me want to pull off the cross over pipe and have a look at mine. So, the theory is that all that black stuff is burnt oil powder from the blowby being sucked back through the intake?

Wow, what a mess! So many of the emissions systems on automobiles merely mask the issue, and cause all sorts of problems along the way. Don't get me started on air injection systems and DEF fluid!

@Lumpskie - That's all the leftover exhaust junk that was sent back to the intake through the egr system and built up over time. My cousin has a Hilux Surf and says his was pretty much the same. My egr has been removed and blocked off since shortly after I got the truck, but this is the first time I've pulled these off.

With the head side, my current thinking is that I can scrape and vacuum the closed valves, then rotate the engine manually and do the other ones, keeping the crud that falls in to a minimum. Hopefully...

@LumpskieWith the head side, my current thinking is that I can scrape and vacuum the closed valves, then rotate the engine manually and do the other ones, keeping the crud that falls in to a minimum. Hopefully...

I think it's a good plan, I'd give it a blast of compressed air (wear your goggles!) before moving on to the next hole to get anything that escapes the vacuum out of there though.

@Lumpskie - That's all the leftover exhaust junk that was sent back to the intake through the egr system and built up over time. My cousin has a Hilux Surf and says his was pretty much the same. My egr has been removed and blocked off since shortly after I got the truck, but this is the first time I've pulled these off.

With the head side, my current thinking is that I can scrape and vacuum the closed valves, then rotate the engine manually and do the other ones, keeping the crud that falls in to a minimum. Hopefully...

So... just to be sure... The EGR thing is 1HDFT specific then? (I don't remember seeing those hoses on my 1HDT)

So... just to be sure... The EGR thing is 1HDFT specific then? (I don't remember seeing those hoses on my 1HDT)

As far as I can tell, yes its a 95+ only hdft thing. In the fsm they reference non egr versions, so those must have been offered somewhere in the world.

I would treat that as petroleum coke, not too cancerous but definitely particle size you do not want to breathe.

Regardless what it actually is made of and its cancer potential, i will take steps not to eat or breathe it.

As far as I can tell, yes its a 95+ only hdft thing. In the fsm they reference non egr versions, so those must have been offered somewhere in the world.

Data point; @Cruisin' has an early-ish '95 JDM HD-FT with no EGR. @Glenn-BJ74 has a '95 with a bit later serial number and it has (now had) the EGR.

This came out of the intake manifold and cross over pipe adder a couple minutes of screwdriver pokery.

full

Seriously wtf?

I removed the intake heater from the crossover and got investigating. The heater and main inlet are black, but not caked on like that. That black is I'm sure from the old stock routing of any blowby into the intake. This crap all came from the two egr ports. Look inside at the chunk that i can't quite dislodge with a screwdriver. That's right where the egr tubes join the main one.

full

Tomorrow I will be picking up... something... that will clean that up better. Handful of pipe cleaners in a drill, or flexible wire brush in a dremel or toilet brush or something to scrub them clean. Then, blast them out with a pressure washer.

The intake ports on the head though, they are gross too. Is there any good way to clean these without removing the head? Knock it loose and vacuum them out? Some leftover crap will just get passed through or burned out anyway?

full

it is normal , you need to se jetta with 1.9 diesel or mercedes CDI engine it gets worst than this one , easy way to clean it out is to burn it start the soat on fire and blow some compressed air into it and after you done burning use some carb cleaner and clean it out it will look like new

it is normal , you need to se jetta with 1.9 diesel or mercedes CDI engine it gets worst than this one , easy way to clean it out is to burn it start the soat on fire and blow some compressed air into it and after you done burning use some carb cleaner and clean it out it will look like new

I looked up some pictures online, and wow, they sure do get bad. Like nearly completely clogged even.

Killing it with fire sounds fun, but living in the city I'm not sure how well people would react to the smoke. I'm sure it wouldn't be a clean burn.

I got word back from the diesel shop. Injectors are worn out and opening at too low of pressure. As part of a rebuild, they have to use updated parts in the nozzles, as apparently Denso had changed them at some point.

Rebuild cost, with testing, is $1700. :eek:

New nozzle assemblies from the middle east, also updated, are $1500 with shipping. :eek:

Some small amount of research shows that a low opening pressure would lead to smoke at idle, excessive EGTs, and poor mileage. All of which seem to be things this truck is guilty of.

Bit more than I was hoping to spend, but... oh well, just part of owning a Cruiser, right?

Yikes! That's quite a bit more than guys seem to be paying for 1HD-T injectors.

Two stage injector suddenly means double the price?

1HD-T is also a 2-stage injector, so I'm going to say that's not it.

1HD-T is also a 2-stage injector, so I'm going to say that's not it.

Fair enough. Something else must be different or special somehow. I'm not familiar enough with engines in general to know how the 12 valve vs 24 valve thing would affect how an injector is designed or set up. This truck is all one big physics, chemistry, industrial arts and mechanics class to me.

I spoke to them again and gave him the go ahead, and he said he's going to give me a deal on the parts cost, but can't do anything about labour. Drops about $250 off the bill. Better than nothing I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom