Builds Mail Order Ride - My HDJ81 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Planning on squeezing it into the passenger side, like where the master cylinder would be on an lhd vehicle. Lots of room there, I just hope my relay box isn't taking up too much space.
These can be mounted sideways as well as upright, if I was doing it over again I'd go with a side mount to make the exhaust routing easier.

Great purchase, say goodbye to cold starts!

Not related to the truck, but another fine day for unexpectedly spending money. Went out to the van to go to work and found that some dirtbag cocksucker drilled a hole in my tank to steal gas. Got a brass plug with some ptfe sealant into it and that's holding for now, but not a long term fix. What a ****ing joke.

20230912_072412.jpg

20230912_072445.jpg

Well, finally got my s*** together and installed the Webasto. Waited until AFTER our -40 cold snap naturally, but whatever.

Took out my relay box holder thing.
Cut up the relay plate and made new mounts for it where the old 24v switchover relay was living.
Built a plate with mounting brackets for the heater.
All mounting plates this far (including the battery boxes) have been using factory threaded holes, by the way.
Picked up some 3/4" and 5/8" silicone heater hose, with 2x reducer fittings and one 3/4" 90 elbow.
Used a brass T fitting with 1/2" barbed ends and a 3/16" reducer for the heater fuel tap off.
Built a little standoff to mount the fuel pump right to the heater bracket.
Ran the exhaust down the shock tower to the frame, again unused factory threaded holes.
Ran controller wires into the cab, cut and soldered them shorter since Webasto gives you 9 miles of the s*** (will say that I'll just get new crimp pins and wire the connectors properly without a soldered splice, but who knows when I'll get around to actually looking up which parts I need)
Mounted the controller behind the shifter with some 3m tape for now. I didn't want to commit to screws, this might just stay like this.
Ran the main power for the heater to my auxiliary fuse/relay panel and used a 20a fuse there instead of the inline one they provide.

Truck started up instantly. No leaks whatsoever. Tried the Webasto, started immediately. Then shut off after a minute, gave F01 fuel error. Looked at everything, checked it all out, tried it again. Started up, sputtered a bunch of white smoke and chugged to life like a tiny little old diesel engine. Smoke cleared after it got going, let it run for 15 minutes, seems to be fine now. Tried it again a couple hours later, fired up good, had warmed up the lines in about 5 minutes. Still no leaks, all looks good.

Will actually test outdoors tonight.

I did not look at my wireless system yet about connecting my trunk button to it, but gonna do that.

I did not connect the relay output from the Webasto to the heater blower circuit yet. Gotta look into that one too.

20240121_114011.jpg

20240121_114023.jpg

20240121_113848.jpg

20240121_155657.jpg

20240121_122759.jpg

Last edited:
A leak developed at the water pump. Turns out it's a bit of a bitch to get to so I started researching and collecting some parts for "while i was in there".

Getting the pump off means alternator and timing belt and head cover have to come off and needing to drain all the Coolant yet again, I decided to just grab a radiator and hopefully this is the last time for a while. Couldn't find an oem for the life of me, either for this truck specifically, or for the 91-93 gasser, so I gave up and ordered a CSF 2709. Fit perfectly, just bent the trans tube a little bit as it is straight, not 90d.

Alternator was still the test unit from a wrecked Sequoia so I got a new Delco reman one of those to put in. 150A rated, at 800rpm it was feeding 108A or so to the intake heater, but bump the idle up to 1000rpm it went to 115A.

Got a new timing belt and idler pulley and put those in since I'm at 180k now so it's coming up.

Measured up my valve clearances while the cover was off, and found they've all tightened up a bit. Some of my intake were at like 0.08mm (spec is 0.2mm), exhausts around 0.43mm (0.5mm). Either that just happens, or maybe I did something wrong when I did it 6 years ago. Went through the process again and buttoned it up. Seems to run nice, maybe a bit smoother? Will have to pay attention to it.

Overall, it ended up like 15 hours of work, but the fact that (aside from batteries needing charge after sitting for almost a month) it started up immediately and with no leaks makes me feel pretty good.

A leak developed at the water pump. Turns out it's a bit of a bitch to get to so I started researching and collecting some parts for "while i was in there".

Getting the pump off means alternator and timing belt and head cover have to come off and needing to drain all the Coolant yet again, I decided to just grab a radiator and hopefully this is the last time for a while. Couldn't find an oem for the life of me, either for this truck specifically, or for the 91-93 gasser, so I gave up and ordered a CSF 2709. Fit perfectly, just bent the trans tube a little bit as it is straight, not 90d.

Alternator was still the test unit from a wrecked Sequoia so I got a new Delco reman one of those to put in. 150A rated, at 800rpm it was feeding 108A or so to the intake heater, but bump the idle up to 1000rpm it went to 115A.

Got a new timing belt and idler pulley and put those in since I'm at 180k now so it's coming up.

Measured up my valve clearances while the cover was off, and found they've all tightened up a bit. Some of my intake were at like 0.08mm (spec is 0.2mm), exhausts around 0.43mm (0.5mm). Either that just happens, or maybe I did something wrong when I did it 6 years ago. Went through the process again and buttoned it up. Seems to run nice, maybe a bit smoother? Will have to pay attention to it.

Overall, it ended up like 15 hours of work, but the fact that (aside from batteries needing charge after sitting for almost a month) it started up immediately and with no leaks makes me feel pretty good.
About to do the radiator myself. Also I am looking to install an auxiliary tranny oil cooler. Impex has the radiator #16400-17031 for the HDJ81, it’s enroute now. You can also find the Manual transmission radiator (no tranny fluid heater/cooler in bottom of radiator) at Cruiser outfitters. You would just need to rig up an aux tranny cooler.

I've got an auxiliary cooler, it's pretty small ish so I like the idea of having both in use.

I didn't take many photos of this project, but here's one that shows stuff. And my valve measurements.

20240416_192226.jpg

20240420_151537.jpg

And I hit 179179 today. Wasn't trying to catch it or anything, just looked down and there it was.

20240420_145710.jpg

And here's how it's running right now after being warmed up. Smokes a good bit on a cold startup, but just about nothing once it's warmed up, so I guess that's about right? Seems real smooth to drive, sounds nice by my untrained ear anyway. Still no leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom