Mac OSX Map Software Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,

First off I have a Kenwood DNX571 with Garmin Nav in the dash for on road turn by turn. I also use my Motorola Droid Maxx with Google Maps for on road or walking around town. So I'm double covered there. Off subject for this post but I would love to hear if someone has been using their DNX570/571 for offroad "nav" with any success.

So I am looking for a mapping solution for my macbook pro (13" Retina 2015 model with SSD) I am using a Global Sat BU-353S4 antenna and it works with the mac after installing the drivers. I can get my location using Google Earth Pro. Spent a couple hours messing around with google earth and its buggy, slow, wont hold a zoom level with location turned on, overall just not my kind of software for something that just needs to work when I want it to without the extra messing around. Also I fear that I will forget to zoom to the area I am going before out of cell range and therefore have no map when I need it... I'm not opposed to spending a couple bucks but I want real world experience reviews if possible. I don't want to have to hunt around the internet and download a bunch of maps and patch them together, I travel all over the country and want something all inclusive. I see all sorts of examples for the IPAD and Android but nothing that appears current for the Mac. I have looked at MacGPS Pro but it appears to require TONS of additional map purchases for my intended use. (anyone using this and a specific set of maps, feedback would be greatly appreciated)

Also I am not an experienced topo map reader and if there is something with a nice informative interface I would love it. I have looked around at some of the dedicated mini nav units but I really don't want another device. Plus I have this big pretty screen in the truck at all times, why not take advantage of it.

Thanks in advance!

I've used Mac GPS Pro for several years ('09 or so), and I've been happy with that. Platform is my vintage 2004 15" Mac Powerbook G4, and it has held up surprisingly well. Screen by now is a bit dark, and difficult to see in direct sunlight. I have it strapped down on the passenger seat, and I've wired power directly from the battery as the cig lighter socket in my truck (it's my old K5... the '80 has yet to go on one of those trips) is a bit capricious. USB GPS antenna sits on the inside mirror via magnet.
I have purchased 7.5 minute USFS and USGS topo maps for Arizona and Utah (1:24,000), and US in 1:100,000. I think by now I also have California and Nevada. Maps autoload as long as you have them on the drive, position is instant, and I rarely lose signal - usually happens in a narrow canyon, and I suppose I could put the sensor up on the roof... Can't do map overlays in the version I own, and I haven't upgraded since I haven't been going wheeling much the past two years. I've used it to run trails imported from the web, ran my own tracks, or made my own trail on Google Earth and imported the kml file into Mac GPS Pro. Map choice is somewhat limited if you're looking for different sources as some may have the trail you want, and others don't. I haven't loaded the new USFS versions yet, as I've been told they supposedly have less trails - haven't had the chance to verify.

I've recently gravitated towards using Gaia on my iPad2, mostly because it's easier to just throw it into the truck and go. I was able to transfer all my trails from the Mac without much issue via e-mail, though that feels a bit clumsy. I don't like the map download paradigm, but it's quick. You need to decide up front on max zoom level, as a compromise between size/download times/need for detail. Of course, we've managed to drive 'off the map' and ran out of zoom trying to figure out one of those 'braided route' scenarios...

If my next trip works out as planned, I'll have the Mac back in it's place - I like the bigger screen, and knowing I have all the maps I want. But it's a big truck, and the iPad will be somewhere in there as well.

I've used Mac GPS Pro for several years ('09 or so), and I've been happy with that. Platform is my vintage 2004 15" Mac Powerbook G4, and it has held up surprisingly well. Screen by now is a bit dark, and difficult to see in direct sunlight. I have it strapped down on the passenger seat, and I've wired power directly from the battery as the cig lighter socket in my truck (it's my old K5... the '80 has yet to go on one of those trips) is a bit capricious. USB GPS antenna sits on the inside mirror via magnet.
I have purchased 7.5 minute USFS and USGS topo maps for Arizona and Utah (1:24,000), and US in 1:100,000. I think by now I also have California and Nevada. Maps autoload as long as you have them on the drive, position is instant, and I rarely lose signal - usually happens in a narrow canyon, and I suppose I could put the sensor up on the roof... Can't do map overlays in the version I own, and I haven't upgraded since I haven't been going wheeling much the past two years. I've used it to run trails imported from the web, ran my own tracks, or made my own trail on Google Earth and imported the kml file into Mac GPS Pro. Map choice is somewhat limited if you're looking for different sources as some may have the trail you want, and others don't. I haven't loaded the new USFS versions yet, as I've been told they supposedly have less trails - haven't had the chance to verify.

I've recently gravitated towards using Gaia on my iPad2, mostly because it's easier to just throw it into the truck and go. I was able to transfer all my trails from the Mac without much issue via e-mail, though that feels a bit clumsy. I don't like the map download paradigm, but it's quick. You need to decide up front on max zoom level, as a compromise between size/download times/need for detail. Of course, we've managed to drive 'off the map' and ran out of zoom trying to figure out one of those 'braided route' scenarios...

If my next trip works out as planned, I'll have the Mac back in it's place - I like the bigger screen, and knowing I have all the maps I want. But it's a big truck, and the iPad will be somewhere in there as well.

Thanks for the info, just so I'm crystal clear... buy the US in 1/100k for an overall idea but for wheeling and to see a trail on a map buy the more precise 1/24k topos? I'm very new to this I carry the US treks books and a map coupled with an on road GPS but looking for something to ease the clutter. So If I buy macgps pro, the maps for US at 100k, California, Utah and Colorado in 24k I can hypothetically plot my trip ahead of time and watch on screen to make sure I'm following the path intended? Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom