M416 What exactly do I need to swap axel and bolt pattern? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coastal-aquariums.com
I have been wanting to put a set of 80 rims on my M416 for a while now, I have the extra wheels and I understand that the best option is probably to swap the axel out with a new one that has the right bolt pattern on the hubs. If I go that route, I will probably go without brakes for now, but will add them at some point.

I have done a fair amount of reading on the topic over the years, but am not confident on exactly what I need. Does anyone have an easy link to a single product that will take care of this in terms of bolt pattern, axel length etc? I'm hoping to run either 33 or 35" tires on the trailer on stock FJ80 rims and I believe I will have to do a spring over in order to make that happen.

Attached are some pics of the trailer, just because I don't think I have posted about it here before. Its been a work in progress, bought it about 10 years ago for $350. A fair amount of rust, but it works for our needs. Sorry for the huge pics, not sure why so large.

20210315_151459.jpg

Screenshot_20210315-210748_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210315-210858_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Update, figured out everything except the hub to hub measurement that I need

Update, figured out everything except the hub to hub measurement that I need
You need the hub to hub measurement of your 80 if you want to run same tires and wheels & tracking to be the same. Compare that to what your trailer is now to determine if you'll have clearance issues. I don't have that measurement. So unless someone chimes in that has that magical number, I'd remove your rear tires from your 80. Take a plumb bob or straight edge to the ground from the hub surfaces and measure the marks you made on the ground. That is the dimension you'll want for your finished modified axle.

You need the hub to hub measurement of your 80 if you want to run same tires and wheels & tracking to be the same. Compare that to what your trailer is now to determine if you'll have clearance issues. I don't have that measurement. So unless someone chimes in that has that magical number, I'd remove your rear tires from your 80. Take a plumb bob or straight edge to the ground from the hub surfaces and measure the marks you made on the ground. That is the dimension you'll want for your finished modified axle.

That sounds great, with one exception, I don't care if it's the same tracking width as I forsee that potentially making a bigger gap between the tub wall and the inner tire wall, I want to keep that to a minimum so that the tires don't stick out further than necessary.

That sounds great, with one exception, I don't care if it's the same tracking width as I forsee that potentially making a bigger gap between the tub wall and the inner tire wall, I want to keep that to a minimum so that the tires don't stick out further than necessary.
Ah, I see. Thought you were after tracking width. I wish I had your gap problem with my trailer. My problem is the opposite. I want to narrow the track to match my 80's, but the trailer's wheel wells won't let it happen. The lift necessary to get the clearance would be ridiculous, so I continue to run the original 5 lug wheels & hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom