Low-cost alternative to Lexus GX or 100-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love the Autopian and a lot of David's pieces (including when he was at Jalopnik).....but really?

There are still quite a few of the proposed alternatives running around in my area - they all look like they've been in bar fights. I'd consider one for a low-cost AWD Gambler 500 rig, but not much else.

David Tracy's kink is owning at a series of breathtakingly awful s*** boxes and having the people of the internet constantly tell him how crappy they are lol.

FWIW a lot of those 2000s GM products simply refuse to die. I have a buddy with a 2006 Yukon with almost 300,000 miles. It still runs like a top and regularly towed a 36 foot camper until he bought a diesel super duty a couple months ago.

David Tracy's kink is owning at a series of breathtakingly awful s*** boxes and having the people of the internet constantly tell him how crappy they are lol.

FWIW a lot of those 2000s GM products simply refuse to die. I have a buddy with a 2006 Yukon with almost 300,000 miles. It still runs like a top and regularly towed a 36 foot camper until he bought a diesel super duty a couple months ago.
2000s GM LS V8 drivetrains are certainly exceptional (almost Toyota reliable and just less refined), but the rest of the vehicle will simply fall apart around it. Most of the 2000s GM trucks and SUVs running around here (and there are a LOT as I live in a rural area and the GM rigs are cheap to buy and keep on the road due to cheap parts) have peeled clearcoat, rust, electrical gremlins, and trashed interiors. But they do still get worked hard and will probably be limped on with cheap Autozone parts for years to come.

Lots of cheapies on my local Craigslist!

2000s GM LS V8 drivetrains are certainly exceptional (almost Toyota reliable and just less refined), but the rest of the vehicle will simply fall apart around it.
100% true. My dad and my wife's dad both have early 2000's Chevy Silverados and both have the same problem. Almost bulletproof drivetrains but absolutely rubbish with EVERYTHING else.

My dads 3/4 ton with the Vortec 6.0 has almost 200k and is going strong, however is a leaky oily mess and interior is literally falling apart and off. I'll end up inheriting it so I have zero idea how I'm going to get it ~2,100+ miles from around Houston to north Idaho. LOL

100% true. My dad and my wife's dad both have early 2000's Chevy Silverados and both have the same problem. Almost bulletproof drivetrains but absolutely rubbish with EVERYTHING else.

My dads 3/4 ton with the Vortec 6.0 has almost 200k and is going strong, however is a leaky oily mess and interior is literally falling apart and off. I'll end up inheriting it so I have zero idea how I'm going to get it ~2,100+ miles from around Houston to north Idaho. LOL
A LS-swapped 80 would certainly be the ultimate Toyota :). Best of both worlds!

It's been said before....but if only GM could build a whole car as well as they could build an engine.....

A LS-swapped 80 would certainly be the ultimate Toyota :). Best of both worlds!

It's been said before....but if only GM could build a whole car as well as they could build an engine.....
I'd rather drop the 3UR-FE in an 80-series. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom