Looking for trails up Pacific Coast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We will be driving the 80 from Long Beach, CA, up the coast to Seattle. First stop will be Monterey/Santa Cruz. No boat this time.

Can anyone suggest some good off-raoding from there on up? We'll be looking more for scenic, fun stuff than hard core rock crawling types.

Any good book guides, web sites, etc would be handy.

I have Delorme Topo 4.0 so should be able to find recommended trails.

Thanks for helping me plan this trip,

Ed

Ed,
Although I have never had the opportunity to experience it first hand yet. I have heard that you can still cruise Pismo beach, just like in Mexico!! :D
Might be worth looking into it?

Pismo Beach is still open, it is $3 or $5 to get in. I was there in March. A few of words of advice concerning Pismo.

1) Be Very careful, it is really a free for all.
2) Be careful going up the dunes, you will be driving up a nice smooth dune and suddnely, the backside will drop down 20 feet. If you can't see over it, stop and check it out. This can be a problem because you are trying to get a run up the dune.
3) Once again, watch out of the nutcases going 60mph out there.

I found that once at Pismo was enough for me, I probably won't go there again.

Also, you may want to consider Hollister off road park. It is located off Hwy 101 South of Gilroy, it is about 15 miles from the freeway. Great place to off road, same $5 admission.

Cary

There is a great scenic and easy trail on the "lost coast" of California. Coming from the south take the road to Usal beach-basically easy dirt raod, camp on the beach-its beautiful. Then take the road north and go to Shelter Cove. Then a few miles of pavement and you get back on the north south road through the King Range and come out at Mattole. Nice easy 4 wheeling, scenic and lonely, especially mid-week. From Mattole take the paved road through Bull Creek-I think its called the "Mattole Road" and visit the Roosevelt grove of redwoods in Humbolt State Park-very impressive. Then drive the avenue of the Giants if you have time before continuing north. Have fun.

Cary,
Thanks for the words of experience. It's :( when the few can screw things up for everyone! :mad:

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=3703;start=0#msg27160 date=1058373245]

I found that once at Pismo was enough for me, I probably won't go there again.

[/quote]

Ditto

Andrew....Sounds great! Just what I was thinking of. Thank you! Is the camping at Usal Beach in assigned campsites or just find a spot and its yours? Hoping for the latter.

Anyone have suggestions for Oregon or washington???

Thanks,
Ed

I highly recommend the Backcountry Adventures series of books. I own the So. Cal version and it is excellent! If the book wasn't down in the LC I'd tell you exactly how many coastal trails it includes.

The series are available at 4x4books.com (http://4x4books.com/4wdat.htm) and Amazon.

Echo.... Thanks for the link. I have the Southern Cal and the Arizona editions of the book but not the No Cal.

Ed

Does anybody have the Utah edition?

I am just wondering whether it is worth this poor student ~$30...

To answer Landandsea, Usal is open-camp where you want. There are some obvious places near the Lagoon. It gets windy in the late afternoon.

For Rogue, the series of books you mention are really great-lots of detail, info on flora and fauna, geology etc. They are very well written. The trails, though, tend to be on the easy side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom